Connect with other bonsai nerds in your area

I’m down south of you in Santa Fe. Seki Bonsai… also of the Frumpy Gnome Study Group…

2 Likes

I use to live nearby you @SekiBonsai, I’ve seen your FB profile a few years back. I was just off 646 and I-10, wish I knew you had a study group at the time. Currently I’m in Sam Antonio.

1 Like

Anybody on here north of Atlanta,Ga? I currently go to the Smith Gilbert garden study group in Kennesaw but would like to find one closer to home.

2 Likes

I live on the Kitsap Peninsula across the sound from Seattle. I’ve been collecting since 2016 and I have some nice material. I’m not really a club kinda dude but I would be interested in finding a few creatives who are obsessed with trees as much as I am.

Here is my favorite tree so far, a Quercus Garryana that I collected several years ago. It had vigorous growth the first spring after collection, but during it’s first summer a few branches died off all of the sudden. I’m fairly sure that it was because it was in a black container which got too hot on the sunny side. I’m planning on removing the dead branches, but right now they are being used as guy wire anchors. It just went into it’s first pot. This is before and after clean up/light styling/repotting:

10 Likes

Personally I like the dead. Nice tree and pot.

1 Like

I like the tree a lot but wonder if this pot isn’t too small…

1 Like

For now I just picked a pot that fit the root ball with a little room to spare. I’d rather not keep it in a cascade style pot.

2 Likes

Pot definitely too small and too tall but tree has good potential:wink:.
Die off was likely because of not having enough root to support foliage that grew first season. Don’t repot oftener than maybe 3-4 years and SLOWLY reduce depth of roots.

1 Like

I’m 99% sure root die off was due to heat. The tree pushed out nice growth in spring that it held onto for most of the summer and then after one hot day in august that I missed watering, two of the major branches dropped all their leaves and died off over a few weeks.

1 Like

Anyone near Portsmouth, Southern England?

First Kiwi to post to this thread? Seems legit. :sunglasses:

Very new to bonsai in Christchurch, NZ.

We have two clubs here: Christchurch Bonsai Society and Avon Bonsai Society.

Kiwis can also head to the NZ Bonsai Association for a list of clubs around the country.

6 Likes

Welcome Gwen! I suggest watching the Mirai Live Streams to expand your knowledge of Bonsai! I have a library of books on Bonsai and nothing compares to this source. Mirai Live is amazing!

2 Likes

http://www.pugetsoundbonsai.org/

4 Likes

I live in Hampshire (UK)

1 Like

Andover so pretty close :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s a pleasure to meet you.

2 Likes

If you haven’t yet, please come by the Pacific Bonsai Museum and say hi.
Aarin

4 Likes

Sacramento Bonsai Club’s show is next weekend, you should check it out if you can. Buddhist Church of Sacramento, 2401 Riverside Rd May 4-5. Satsuki Akokai is focused mainly on Azaleas so I would check out the other three first(especially since Lodi water kills my azaleas, unless I use a filter lol).

1 Like

South-East London here @CoffeeCherry :wave:t2:

2 Likes

Yaaaaaaaay :hugs:
Are you in a club or in touch with other bonsai nerds?