Bay Area / West Coast bonsai

Hey all,
I’m taking a road trip from Seattle to the Bay Area next week. Are there any nurseries/shops/gardens I should visit while I’m there? Or, even places to stop along the way.

Mirai? :slight_smile:

Thanks for any advice!

Tsugawas in southern Washington and Driftwood Bonsai on the southern Oregon coast for places to buy material. Maybe hit them up on the way back.

If you are wanting to look at Bonsai, the Lake Merrit collection in Alameda or Oakland is great. (Maybe closed due to COVID)

To visit Mirai you have to email them to schedule some time. Looks like the garden visits are shut down due to COVID right now though. There is a fee which is discounted for Mirai Live members.

1 Like

Tsugawas is on the list! Driftwood might be a little too far of our route, but I’d love to visit sometime.
Thanks!

You might also check with Jonas at Bonsai Tonight - he is in Alameda, CA

1 Like

Lone Pine in Sebastopol. Open Thurs, Fri, Sat.

1 Like

What about Mendocino Coast bonsai? I’m not sure if they do in-person visits though.

http://mcbonsai.com/

1 Like

Muranaka in Nipomo, Maruyama in Sacramento and Grove Way in Hayward to mention a few.

1 Like

Jonas is a little private regarding his collection.

I suggest making a solid introduction for him to open his garden. He like most professional is also really busy most of the time. His trees are amazing and it’s hard to think of a nicer person even if I try.

Always be respectful and recognize you are asking to be invited to someone’s home when visiting most professional growers.

I will be traveling up the coast doing more or less the same thing.

If at all possible it would be amazing to hear a recap of your trip.

Mats H