THE podcast thread

I’ve tried making dedicated threads, but they seem to be a bit too transient. Giving the super thread idea a shot. I’ll kick us off…

@Eve Please hook us up with all the bloopers and gifs!

5 Likes

+1 on the bloopers request

4 Likes

The people cannot live on bonsai alone, we need gifs, that’s just science @Eve.

Also, great idea @Bonsai_Bentley; I’m usually buzzing after a podcast drops, so having one place for a dedicated debrief and discussion would be a great way to pull out additional gems.

1 Like

If it gets enough traction we may be able to get it pinned :crossed_fingers:t4:

@Bonsai_Bentley I will see which good ones we can share with you all soon :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Supposedly the Mirai team had been working on a blooper video before your arrival @Eve. It would be nice to use all saved material to make multiple blooper videos to share the funny a couple times a year. Thank you for your Mirai input as a Artist with a Calendar! :grinning:

1 Like

@Joe_Johanesen I am not sure about anything that would have been started before I got to Mirai… But I know two years back when I started, Josh and I used to collect all the blooper moments we could so we have a back stock on bloopers on our old editing drives!

3 Likes

Anyone have a link to the last blooper video?

I don’t think anything very long has been released publicly but there was this

3 Likes

Sam posted something. It was Ryan’s struggles with tech during Forum Q&A.

Oh I remember that video

EDIT: Here

1 Like

“We’ll clean up that pauses and, you know, swearing at the computer.” :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

I thoroughly enjoyed the Rodney Clemons podcast. I was expecting a “how to boxwood” episode, but it turned out to just be a nice discussion about bonsai, life, bonsai life, and self-reflection. Biggest takeaway was viewing your trees from underneath. It sounds corny, but when’s the last time you just laid underneath a tree? Bonsai or not. I’ve been conditioned to think that any branches that cross the trunk are trying to hide flaws. Looking in nature that’s not the case though. Trees grow radially and couldn’t care less about what you think the front should be.

3 Likes

Agreed, it was a cool look at a great person who happens to do Bonsai as a profession.

I do like to get down on my knees and twist by head round to look up a trees at Bonsai exhibitions. None of my trees are worth doing it to yet. With a good tree I can really get the feeling of being there in nature at the base of the tree. This is one tree I am remember from last years UK National Bonsai Show which gave me goosebumps.

I do wonder from the quality of people on the podcasts if all bonsai professions are a higher level of individual or if Ryan is just very good at curating who he podcasts with. I do enjoy just listening to the bonsai chat.

5 Likes

With my smaller trees, likes shohin or anything I can hold with one hand comfortably, I will rotate it in my hands to look at it from underneath (as well as top down and from the sides). It’s great to get all those perspectives when designing a tree.

What I took away from that, though, was that I do it analytically and maybe I should also do it from time to time for pure enjoyment.

1 Like

Is bonsai art? :thinking: Still in the middle of this one, but figured I’d do a stream of consciousness as I go.

They bring up an interesting point. Is the live demo a bit of performance art? My mind immediately went to the Japanese teppenyaki steak house. Is the chef dude that’s twirling knives, salt and pepper shakers, and forks doing a bit of performance art?

The very next point is something I’ve pondered as well. Are we, in American and I guess to a larger extent the rest of the world, doing bonsai? If not, what do we call it? I’ve always felt like I’m not. The motivations don’t seem the same. Culturally different for sure. It was at one time called penjing. Then bonsai. Now what?

I like the notion that bonsai is a craft (a daily one at that) and displaying them can be art (whether in exhibition or in other contexts).

1 Like

I agree. I consider myself more of a craftsman with no real intention of ever exploring the display/art side of things. That said, when a tree is done well it can evoke some sense of feeling or emotion. Is that due to the artistic side of things or is it a by-product of well done craftsmanship?