Home made display bench

I built a new display bench in the style of a torii gate recently and thought I would share.

Very simple construction.

Don’t judge me on my trees. I’m a beginner and in the right place :joy:

24 Likes

Great job, enjoy the journey l.

Nice job Amit!

I made my benches in the style of a bunch of old pallets precariously stacked together and waving in the wind :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

I actually like both - the bench and your trees too :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

They are all just bushes on trunks at the moment.

Need so serious pruning and wire work next spring.

Mine was made using the slats from my old bed base. I have been hoarding pallets over the summer for the next wave of construction!

1 Like

I have 2 benches. One, a 6 ft 2 level bench I made from cedar two years ago, and the other an 8 ft picnic style bench I made with cedar 2x4’s and plastic bench frames I bought from Mayfair. In between the benches you can see my Dawn Redwood, a Larch Forest on the stone bench, and a bushy Arakawa that will get potted up next spring.

1 Like

Did you use the Sho shugi ban technique on the vertical supports? The look charred and it is a very nice bench. Well done!

Here is a photo of a bench I made recently. I found the design online and pulled it into Sketchup and made a few tweaks. I like it but will make a few more modifications before I make a second one.

4 Likes

Yes I did and thank you

Here is a picture of it in it’s setting.

I made some Japanese style patio furniture to go with it

4 Likes

Beautiful work! I may have to have a go at the Sho Shugi Ban myself on the next set of benches. Well done!

2 Likes

FWIW, the process is called yakisugi in Japan, not shosugiban.

2 Likes

@nmhansen, thank you! I will check that article out and it is good to have my terms correct.

1 Like

Wow, yakisugi, I learned something new today! I wonder what my house would look like with some new siding…

1 Like

Just make sure you burn the wood before you put it on the house.

It’s a great process but can be time consuming if you need to burn a large surface and all you have is a hand held blow torch.

It was great fun however, and the finish once oiled is beautiful

In Japan, they do it in bundles of 3. I can’t recommend this method for your first attempt though :laughing:

ya, I think I’ll buy it pre finished from nakamato before I go through all that for the whole house :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve built two benches. The first was a 2 level 4ft bench I built from scratch with cedar boards 2 years ago. The second is a 8 ft one level picnic style bench I made this spring with plastic legs from a kit from Wayfair, using 2x4 cedar lumber.

In the 3rd picture there is a larch forest on the stone bench to the left of the picnic bench, and there is a dawn redwood to the right of the short bench on the left side of the picture. Also a few trees in grower’s pots in front of the bench on the right.

3 Likes

I built one off of that same design. Really like the way it turned out. Waiting for the wood to season a bit before I put stain on it and seal it. Yours looks great!

4 Likes