Live Stream / Tertiary Content Idea - Bonsai Stands / Benches

I recently purchase a home here in LA and just cleared the backyard. I think it would be cool to see how Ryan / Troy built all the various bonsai benches and stands they made out in the garden and what was their approach to the design knowing that they have so many different types and size trees with an evolving collection.

Eventually I want to create some stands and benches similar to the pictures I see at the Mirai garden. It’s all just spectacular!

How do y’all make your more formal benches and stands (not the normal cinder blocks / 2x12 method)?

4 Likes

@Diakonos great idea. I second that. I’ve been slo-mo watching any video that shows the Mirai garden (especially the drone one form the garden visits blog post) to see the layout and how the benches were built etc.

I’ll bet there is a large need for this

Chris

2 Likes

This is the story of the origin of Bonsai Mirai. Early in the video, you can see many of the benches he uses. At the 13:36 mark you can see a top-side view of his garden. It’s very short, so as @BoneSci said, you have to watch it in slow motion.

1 Like

See my reply to BillsBayou

Yea, exactly. I watched the videos and have general idea of how they build it but you can’t really see the “guts” or support structure behind / underneath from what you can see from the videos. I want to make sure my benches / stands can withstand (most) of what mother nature sends at us.

I’m more or less a beginner woodworker… so not all of that is intuitive to me.

~ jonathan

Here are the ones I recently built. 6X6 posts and 2X8X12’ boards from Lowe’s, pressure treated:

9 Likes

Here in New Orleans, we can’t just use pressure treated wood. We have to use wood rated for direct burial. Much more moneys.

1 Like

Cool! Did you use the 2x8x12 to make the support structure? Did those bolts go all the way through the 6x6 posts? What size bolts did you use?

Those benches look really nice!

1 Like

Thanks! Yes, I made the braces from the 2x8s. I clamped them to the posts, then drilled through with a 1/2” ship’s augur. The bolts are 1/2” X 9” carriage bolts. I countersunk the holes on the other side with a spade bit and secured the bolts with anti-turn washers on the head side and regular washers and locking nuts on the other side. The posts are 6’ long and are bedded about 3’ down in gravel, no concrete.

2 Likes

Yeah, around here I can’t even find the perforated pressure treated stuff that Ryan uses. It’s so dry here I guess there’s no demand for it.

FB_IMG_1520083533878FB_IMG_1520083529931FB_IMG_1520083537919FB_IMG_1520083525546FB_IMG_1520083521109FB_IMG_1520083542141

4 Likes

Preforated or incised wood is a process used with certain wood species and certain wood treatments. Treatments allowed vary from state to state. Some states restrict certain more toxic (and more effective) treatments. Just be sure to use a burial rated material and treat cuts with copper naphate.

1 Like

This is great looking. Where did you get that?

I am not sure…
It is a Screenshot i took a wile ago.
Maybe it was on Facebook ore Google search.
I collected pictures of different bonsaibenches to be inspired for my new benches.
This weekend a mobile sawmill made me boards for my new benches…from trees we had to cut down.

4 Likes

Oh, the projects running through my mind!

Any shade? Any protection from wind and hail? Beautiful benches, but need some protection… :thinking:

Leaving live edge?
:thinking:

https://bonsaimirai.com/node/492

Garden visit blog shows the underside and several close-ups of the benches.
Looks like similar construction to @High-N-Dry construction!! Also the Kimura’s Garden https://live.bonsaimirai.com/archive/video/kimuras-garden
show his stands in Japan. Lots of cedar posts and reinforced concrete, another way to go in an environment that cannot tolerate the wooden construction.

1 Like

The site has some natural protection from wind. I still need to rig something for shade, but most of my trees don’t need it.

1 Like

We get freak storms with hail, and wind gusts up to 90 mph, so I am sensitive about protection.
Have been burned more than once by storms not predicted by our local weatherpersons.:worried:

1 Like