My new bonsai benches

Just built these 3 benches (I actually call them shelves because of their design and their height). I wanted them a little higher so they would be easier to work on and I like a slightly higher display height (none of my trees are huge). They’re 4 feet wide, 2 feet deep and about 3.5 feet off the ground (my property has a slope to it, so it depends on where you stand). One is stained and I’ll stain the other two tomorrow once the cement sets. Under the 2x4 that runs around the edge are several eyelet screws I can use to secure tie downs if need be.

22 Likes

Nice. The first picture is a bit of an optical illusion in which is looks like the right post if much further forward than the left even though they are holding up a rectangular top.

3 Likes

They look great. I have to create a few, you have given me new ideas. Thanks.

2 Likes

Yeah, trying to get these level by eye was impossible. Had to use two levels to make sure we were getting it right.

I got the idea from some similar benches in the Mirai garden. I altered them a little since I don’t have as big a trees as Ryan does and he uses round poles, which are much harder to get.

1 Like

Very nice! Wherever you live, you have a gorgeous backdrop for your bonsai!

1 Like

What wood did you use for the benches? Cedar?

1 Like

Thanks. Live in the PacNW, east of Seattle. And the property is a big reason we bought the house.

Yeah, I believe so. Some of the 2x4s may be pine or something, but most of them are cedar and the 4x4 supports are a treated cedar.

Your pressure treated 4x4s are most likely douglas fir species and your 2x4s could be either Doug fir or Hemlock. I can’t fully make out the markings on your bracing, I see “STUD” very clearly.
Cedar is never marked like the 2x4s you used. It is typically marked on the ends
Cedar 4x4s, never have seen treated in all my years in the construction trades

1 Like

That’s totally possible, I thought the sign said cedar, but maybe that was a sign for something above or below.

You would definitely know if it is cedar, it has a very distinctive pleasant smell :+1:t2: :smile:
On a yearly basis you will definitely need to reapply an application of stain and sealer to the existing material in order to preserve it :+1:t2:

1 Like

Hi, how would you protect buried wooden post from rotting?

1 Like

I LOVE your avatar name…
If it’s already in the ground, protect it from getting wet , use some aluminum flashing and wood seal. to redirect water, design good drainage.
If just starting, start with the proper wood: buy treated wood, redwood, or ceader. And / or… set in concerte; slope the surface with ground cloth and gravel so water doesn’t pool around the post.
I use concrete blocks instead of postes for my benches. The almost never rot… with 40 year old recycled redwood 2× 6 lumber. Still going strong!

1 Like

I like your benches Tac and it looks like you have a beautiful garden area. :+1:

I have a roof terrace with full exposure to sun, so for some time I have been planning to build a semi-shaded area for my trees. Today I finally could set to work. A buddy helped me to build the construction and I’m quite happy with the result. :evergreen_tree: :shinto_shrine: :palm_tree: :deciduous_tree: :blush:

15 Likes

Treated lumber made to be in contact with the ground and set in concrete. It should last decades.

1 Like

Nice. Are you putting a finish on it as well after the stain?

Very nice job! Some day I’ll have the space for such an endeavour.

I just used an all in one outdoor stain.

2 Likes

Fiberglass works great

1 Like