My new bonsai benches

Welcome to TheBatman. Where are you suggesting the use of fiberglass? Most fiberglass composites (glass cloth or roving) in a polymer matrix start to degrade fairly quickly in the sun (a couple of years in the sunny places we like to keep our bonsai).

1 Like

A slight space in between the boards will also help water to drain off your bench top so the isnā€™t just a pool of water sitting on top.

2 Likes

I just made these display stands because I was running out of room on my benches. I need to stain them but I think they came out ok. Your look great. It is funny how fast you run out of room!

8 Likes

I only count about 40ā€¦
Obsessing is whenā€¦ you buy a houseā€¦ because the dining room is just the RIGHT size for the weaving loomā€¦ Fortunately, the property is an acre. JUST the right size for MY obsessionā€¦:kissing::joy:
Unfortunately, the chickens finally went away (miss the eggsā€¦), NOW I have a 40x40 bonsai shed!

4 Likes

Love them. Monkey poles are on my list to do for 2021.

1 Like

Kurt, five in the ground and two in the shade in addition to what you see. Thank God I have limited space.

1 Like

Good thing I have plenty of roomā€¦ and lots of time on my hands.
Iā€™ve stopped counting the benchesā€¦:unamused::rofl::joy::fearful: 16? Cinderblock and redwood. They are now winter storage / windbreaks at any rate! Canā€™t trust global warmingā€¦ It was 18F in October, itā€™s 48F todayā€¦
I let the squirrels spread the oak acornsā€¦ luckily, they stopped eating my oak bonsaiā€¦ Someday I will conquer the Utah, Red, White, and English oaks at the foot of the garden. Were going to be bonsaiā€¦
Dug up 12 Hawthorne saplings from my yard for a forest this spring, need to do the same for quince (before they kill the softball size fruitbearing main treeā€¦)ā€¦ I noted several volunteer fir trees out backā€¦
So much fun!
Bonsai On.!

2 Likes

I am all for no angles (except 90 of course!) Did you use 4 X4ā€™ or larger for posts? How deep were they set? How large are the tops? I am interested in making a few to set around. I have a couple table type benches, but I think the individual posts show off the tree and pot better. Thanks! Carol

1 Like

Carol,
I did use 4 x 4ā€™s for the post. I put them 12-15ā€ in the ground and poured no mix concrete to set in around the posts. The tops are 20ā€ wide x 12ā€ deep. I am in the process of re making the tops so they are framed in a box. The tops are slatted to let the water run through. I will post pics when I am done with them.

2 Likes