Container selection

I just picked up a Ponderosa pine last weekend and would like some opinions on choosing a pot

The tree is currently in a 11x6 round plastic pot and the tree sits about 24in tall hopefully with some nice trunk to be discovered under the soil. I’m considering going with a nice Sara Rayner soft square 11x6 pot but I’m not sure if it will be to large for the elegant trunk of this tree. Would a shallower wider oval pot work better?

2 Likes

Sara Rayner pot

1 Like

Or this 13x4 round

1 Like

Ryan says if apex does not extend outside rim of pot then round shouldn’t be used

A few things, you could probably go for a shallower pot but not necessarily wider, I would think one about 3 inches deep instead of 6. No need to mimic the plastic pot when you move to ceramic. The rootball should be able to reduced to fit into a 3 inch deep pot (with, maybe a little mounding above the pot rim).

If you want a round or soft corner square, I think you would need to tilt the tree over just a little bit more to get the apex to break the bounds of the pot.

2 Likes

I have this pot that’s a 11.5 wide 2.5 deep oval but I wasn’t sure if that would be too shallow

It’s tough to say without seeing but I imagine it would fit with maybe a little mounding above the pot lip. But you do have to be careful with yamadori pine roots though. Keep all your options on hand and when it is time to repot, do some test fits as you are reducing the root ball.

I think I found the angel that id like to go with. Pushes the apex out from center of the tree

3 Likes