Help me choose a pot!

I’m getting this linden raft come October (for health purposes I avoid getting trees shipped outside of dormancy). I need to choose a pot, and I’m considering one of two: a long low-profile one, and a shorter but taller one. Also, which is the better front?

The tree on the whole is 50cm long, with the rootball being 30cm long. The first pot is 40cm long and the second pot is 34cm long. Here are photoshopped simulations with approximate dimensions of each of the two:

Pot 1:

Pot 2:

Are either a good fit? Should I go even larger?
Thanks!

1 Like

I think the last picture is the way to go. It accentuates the horizontal movement of the tree by fitting snugly around the base but also being substantial enough to ground it vertically.

2 Likes

I like pot #2 as well. Make it a cream colored glaze and it’d be perfect IMO.

2 Likes

I mean, the second one is dirt cheap too. The one thing I don’t like is it’s also shorter front-to-back, and in the longer pot I can place the tree farther back and give it some depth, as if it’s in a field/forest.

1 Like

Cool tree, really love Linden I could see this in Jan Culek slab, just make sure the apex breaks well over the rim of whichever container you choose.

1 Like

Personally I prefer the first pot. Design wise and colour wise I think the pot looks nicer.

However, I would pick the second pot as the first one looks too shallow.

What are the dimensions of the pots?

1 Like

Here’s the two pots @Grif:
Pot 1: link
Pot 2: link

1 Like

I like the first pot. It is more elegant and it also gives the impression of a slab. Yes it is rather shallow, but once you get the roots growing out into the broader pot it should do very well.

1 Like

@grif @MartyWeiser @ATM @Bonsai_Bentley

So, apparently the second pot is no longer available. But I also found this kinda sorta slab thing, and it might be the best option:

3 Likes

That is also very good. It makes it look like it is sitting in a rock hollow.

2 Likes

Love the rock combo
Def the winner for me

2 Likes

Grab it while you can!

2 Likes

Fingers crossed you are fast enough this time! Looks great!

1 Like

Already bought it! Thanks for all the help guys :grin:

1 Like

Also, are you photoshopping those pots on there? I’d have saved quite a bit of money if I had been able to see a pot on my trees before buying it.

1 Like

Yep, that’s some quick and dirty photoshop. Just to get a general feel. I try to scale the pots as best I can using measures I know and my sense of proportion from studying architecture lol

2 Likes

Sweet! I like it, can’t wait to see the finished product.

2 Likes

Won’t be here until November. I don’t wanna ship trees outside of dormancy, so I pre-ordered this one. So I’m anxious to see it too!

2 Likes

So I can’t say there is a large market for this, BUT if you made an app that let you preview a pot on your bonsai, you’d have at least as many downloads as Mirai members. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Haha, well I’m not in the app making business, but it’s easy enough to do it in photoshop. Just open up a picture of the tree, and add a picture of the pot on top of it. Then in the pot’s layer, choose “select subject” from the magic wand’s menu. That’ll usually do a pretty clean job of selecting your pot. Press ctrl+j to make a copy of just the pot and delete the old pot layer. And hey presto, you have a pot separate on top of your tree. The only thing left to do is to just delete the parts of the pot that should be hidden by the tree with an eraser. Because of that last part its impossible to just make an app to automate the process. Plus you’ll have to scale things to get an accurate picture.

I mean, I know you probably won’t bother but still, it’s a super easy process, and if it saves you money, it’ll be like a few minutes of time well spent

1 Like