Which ceramic would you pick?

Hi all,
I have a black pine due for a repot this spring, I’ve gone back and forth between various containers and narrowed it down to two very different containers. Which one do you think suits the tree best? Thanks for your feedback!
Option 1: Square - Matte greyish brown - 9”x9”x 3.5”

Option 2: Rectangle - Oxide wash reddish brown - 9”x11”x 4.5”

1 Like

I think the 2nd pot. Not sure why, but I like the pairing.

1 Like

Just IMO…
If you think the tree is a more feminine design, the first.
If you feel the tree is more a masculine design, the second.
However, both are 1/3 too deep for the trunk width…
I like the top pot, regardless!

1 Like

I’ve got to ask in the second pot only the bottom part of the image or does it include the angled top? The line between the two sections doesn’t look solid, so I can’t quite work out if it is two separate parts or not?

1 Like

I’m with @KurtP on all points. Would look into shallower pot.
If you ‘have to’ choose one of these two the top one it is.

2 Likes

Option one in my opinion looks best.

1 Like

both are great but I vote for number one

1 Like

I like #2. Both look good, but #2 is different and a tad unexpected. #1 looks good, but it’s also been done before.

2 Likes

As KurtP said, I think you could use a slightly shallower pot (and a slight bit longer also); IMO a little more length on the pot would stabilize the ‘tallness’ of the tree as well. But I think the first pot is acceptable. The second pot, while interesting, I don’t think fits this tree, but I could see it used with a heavy trunked, squatty, gnarly with deadwood (semi-cascade even?) yamadori.

2 Likes

I should of mentioned… the tree is already in pot and the new pots are placed in front of it so the trunk is 9-12” back. So both pots look large because of the perspective.

I agree with your points, thanks for the critique!

Hey Grif,
It’s a single pot , what you’re looking at is a rough cut relief line, approx 1/8” wide by 1/8” deep.
I didn’t read that line as a hard divide (didn’t think it was that pronounced) but your interpretation is intriguing to hear.

Long overdue update on this thread, it was repotted this spring into a shallower container, thanks for the feedback!

4 Likes

Nice. Good depth. Good placement. Vaguely soft and slightly feminine, matches the tree…Looks good.
JUST my opinion… Now, I would reduce and compress the height of the tree. Maybe to that left limb on the strait section. Wire and curve the main trunk down right to make a new apex to the right… Put your finger over the above photo and see how it improves the design… dynamic design! Wire and lay out that lower right limb for a defining branch…
Im jealous…
Bonsai On!

3 Likes

Thanks Kurt… I see what your saying and I think you’re onto something! There’s a lot of potential going that route.