Container Dilemmas

I have a shohin sized black glared pot that I would like suggestions on for a future tree. Black is always a bit of a challenge, but I really liked the finish. Thoughts?

Over the past 30 years I have moved several times and have not been able to keep my trees for extended periods of time. I seem to be forced to start over at each new location–which discourages the investment in large or mature bonsai stock; I have not been able to develop a tree that is worthy of a Hagedorn or Rayner pot.

I’ve had really good luck with jades. They do fairly well indoors for when temperatures get too extreme, and the bright green foliage doesn’t fall off, which means they aren’t messy. Also, if you clean the thin bark off, you get this beautiful copper/burgundy color.

I have this tiny shohin jade that will never earn any prizes, but I’ll be damned if I don’t grin like an idiot every time I see the little tree that I grew from a clipping.

As for the pot, I think a small jade would look nice in it, or maybe something with bright flowers. I love black pots because they make the greens and oranges in foliage and flowers pop out so much.

1 Like

Interesting; hadn’t considered a succulent. Thank you.

1 Like

I’ve seen poms and red maples in black containers. Red leaves + black containers look great.

1 Like

Yes, I know the red maple for the job…mahalo!

1 Like