Connect with other bonsai nerds in your area

Yes please do! Barrie is a fount of knowledge and has offered me advice on a couple of trees I have in training.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve meet Pierre, both online at Mirai and in person. Very nice person. We’re all cool like that here in Montreal…

3 Likes

I live in Des Moines. PSBA member too. Havent made any of hte monthly meetings but try to go to the guest studio workshops at Bonsai NW and always make sure I go to the PSBA auction.

2 Likes

Anyone in the San Jose/Gilroy/Monterey, CA area?

1 Like

This is a good place to start. Use the “Clubs” menu at the top of the page:
Golden State Bonsai Federation

2 Likes

Thanks BillsBayou; I was a member of the Monterey Bonsai Club and (fun fact) the first docent to sign in at the GSBF-N Collection in Oakland. I recently moved back from Hawaii carrying only one small ficus in my suitcase; I will probably eventually get dialed into a club once I have a couple of trees that are far enough to work on at a meeting–club members seem to be uncomfortable with people just observing (not critiquing) their work (and I get that).

I enjoy your posts–keep up the good work!

2 Likes

Anyone on here from around the Lincoln area of the uk, ive been going solo with bonsai ever since i started a few years ago and would like to meet people local to me…does this look like a dating ad.

3 Likes

Howdy,

I plan on making it down this month!

Regards,
Steven

1 Like

What/ when is the psba auction?

1 Like

Its a fundraiser for the PSBA. They usually have a silent auction and a live auction. Its held at the PNW Bonsai Museum in FW (perfect venue). This is not my favorite day of the year, but its damn close.

There are always a ton of AMAZING trees. IIRC, there were several of Ryan’s trees there last year. Last year, Arin Packard (curator at PNW Bonsai Museum) did a 45 minute session walking through all of the trees that were up for bidding – which was very cool.

Historically, its been in late May. If you’re a PSBA member, Im sure they will send out the usual emails. If youre not a PSBA member, I’d recommend joining. Its only like $40 and they do an awesome job of getting really great guest artists (last month, Matt Reel . . . this month, Dave DeGroot) for workshops and the monthly meeting.

3 Likes

Welcome to TIMBER…(I stole this from Bill) I’m in Texas and have some trees, a wife, and a penchant for drinking during the Tuesday stream…

Seriously tho…I’m in Dallas, BSD, http://www.bonsaisocietyofdallas.com/

I leave my wife and kids and the dog at home when I go and meet with the “tree people”. Send me a message if you are local. I’d love to bend an elbow and a limb.

3 Likes

Maniac.

You and your wife are probably into tree swapping. I know your type.

5 Likes

ABAS American Bonsai Association Sacramento
Sacramento bonsai club
Satsuki Akokai bonsai Sacramento
Bonsai Sekiyu Kai
We are not members of a club now but we are looking for one that best suits our style, ethics, and vision.
We live in Lodi CA so it’s a 45 min drive to Sacramento

2 Likes

Howdy Gary.

I am in Knixville…Powell actually :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey there, good to hear. I would like to meet up with more local bonsai people, are you game for that?

1 Like

For sure. I am only in my third season of growing Bonsai and only have about a dozen trees but yes, it would be great to meet more folks with similar interests.

My email is jimroberts318@gmail.com. Hit me up there.

8 Likes

hi Daubz1977
I live on the other side side of P/bro Norfolk border. Been a member of Mirai site for a couple of weeks and have learned more of bonsai horticulture in this time than I have in in the ten years I’ve been rearing bonsai… a wealth of info on this site. Regards. Ian

2 Likes

Im in casa grande az. Few hours away

1 Like

I am in Seattle and I have just started. I might join the PSBA.

2 Likes

I live in Leicester, UK and am looking to take my knowledge and my trees to the next level after just maintaining my trees for the past 2 years without doing any styling/pruning work to them

3 Likes