...Wiring beech

Hi all!

I read somewhere that beech shouldn’t be wired. I assume it is correct because beech trees in Mirai don’t seem to be wired, just occasionally a branch, but I don’t know why and I don’t recall Ryan talking about it. Does anyone know if that information is correct and why?

Thanks a lot!

Joan

4 Likes

check out structural wiring stream. https://live.bonsaimirai.com/library/video/structural-wiring at about 1:27 Ryan shows structural wiring on a European beech.
Important to use good technique and not damage the soft bark on trunk and branches. Using aluminum and wire with padding are two techniques that can reduce causing damage. The use of wire is an acquired skill that challenges me every time I approach a tree. Practice on cut branches from landscape material and doing a practice run with soft pipe cleaner material have helped me improve my technique. Watch the video… do the practice on a scrap branch… then use both hands to carefully apply the wire. Having soft hands and good technique is not easy, but a good result is worth taking time and putting in the practice and effort.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot!

I had seen that stream but didn’t process that information :smile:

Cheers!

1 Like

What @Bonsai_bob said…Wire gently, bend gently.
I have an older medium size beach. They are georgeous and frustrating. Any branch that is shadowed dies… they almost never back bud. Rotate trees for sunlight frequently.
I usually clip dead leaves off in late fall while trimming the elongation back to a good bud, before winter storage. I wire in late spring, way before bud push, and check/trim for good buds. Mostly for limb placement. Yes, the bark will easily rub off of newer limbs if you are not gentle. They also tend to be brittle and break…

3 Likes

Also if you want to be super careful and not risk to cause damage check out technique in stream ‘Deciduous Design’ where the wire is wrapped in kitchen towel (technique perfectly explained) to protect soft and precious bark of Stewartia. This is also my favorite stream cos of such beauty Stewartia offers as a tree as well as final design result of the one it the stream :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Excel·lent! Thanks a lot for that! I have not seen that stream yet! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

thank you coffeecherry!
I could not remember when I had seen that technique! The search did not find it for me. One of the reasons I love the forum!! We are stronger and hopefully make fewer mistakes when we work together to educate the community. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Hi @joancotros,
If you use thick aluminium wire, it will have less chance of biting into the soft bark, but you have to keep an eye on the wire and get it off before it marks up the bark. They are late to push bud, but when they do, they can grow quick.

3 Likes