Post-Stream Discussion : Structural Wiring

Hey guys!

We are really excited to finally share what we’ve been cooking up with Mirai Live’s Fundamental series, starting it all off with the Structural Wiring stream we just aired. We would love to hear your feedback and open it up to discussion!

What did you all think of the Structural Wiring stream? Did it help you further understand the fundamentals of this skill-set? What stood out for you?

Cheers!

6 Likes

I think the main point I learned and an error that I will be able to correct from now on was to maintain the angle of the wire as we transition from the main trunk to a branch instead of trying to hug really closely the collar for the first turn. I also created a post with a drawing as @Ryan asked during the chat. It was well worth it, I think there’s always something to learn.

2 Likes

As per @ryan’s request, here is a drawing of the V-anchored double wire that comes into the acute angle side of a branch to bend it down as a potential alternative to having to use the obtuse side with a single wire of larger gauge. As it is a double wire it can be of smaller gauge (some restrictions apply) and fit in to create the point of contact with the collar (See image below). The only issue with the specific case in the image is that you can’t have a structural wire going up the trunk. But if you had a jin nearby it could serve as anchoring point so both directions of the wire would come around the same side of the trunk to leave a gap on the other side to let the structural wire pass through. Sorry for the quality of the drawing. The tree is in a Jonathan Cross pot.
IMG_6182

3 Likes

Concerned about leaving a ring on bark where the wire is anchored on the trunk? Do you use this on older pine or collected trees?:pensive:

Absolutely not. All precautions and potential effects of wiring elsewhere apply just the same. I used this on pines and junipers but it is not particular to any species.

1 Like

@rafi Hey Rafi, I moved your discussion to this post so others can see it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Ricardo_Nagaoka thanks to you Ricardo, and all the team for a great product! The detail images are especially helpful to me.

Is this wiring stream going to be available to all levels?
I would recommend to all in our local club as well as the students that take local beginning bonsai classes at our Botanical Garden.:gem:

That’s great, thanks @Ricardo_Nagaoka! did I loose my cross-post badge :frowning:?

1 Like

Enjoyed the Structural Wiring stream… Great teaching Ryan… Looking forward to the Secondary/Tertiary and Fine Branch Wiring streams!

2 Likes

Thank you so much for this incredible piece of content!!
I’ve been wiring since I started this hobby in 1990. I had considered myself to be decently proficient. I now recognize many of my shortcomings; I now have the understanding and confidence to exponentially improve my structural wiring skills. I am guilty of many of the poor wiring issues Ryan addressed and I am now very confident this demonstration will help correct those issues.
I can’t wait to see (a hoped for) upcoming stream where Ryan demonstrates proper detailed wiring of secondary and subsequent branching in the same way this structural wiring primer was presented.
My collection has been visibly improved in less than one year from the entire Mirai Live experience! I can’t wait to see how my collection is further impacted and improved in the upcoming year!!

3 Likes

Really well done teaching video. (I missed the live stream Tuesday.)
To answer “What stood out for you”:
This could sound really basic, but the whole idea of where to stand and how to move one hand/arm in four directions rocked and made the biggest impression on me. And the explanation of why to do it that way actually got through my stubborn/combative defensive personality. I loved it, and after I watched the video I wanted to go out and rewire a couple of trees I had struggled with earlier in the day.

1 Like

Yes, the simple idea of where to stand when applying structural wire is one I need to keep repeating until it become habitual. I already have enough bad habits! Sorry to see I cannot view the video at level one.:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I believe wiring is by far one of the most challenging aspects of bonsai techniques especially for the survival and design of a tree, limb or branch. As i mentioned in my comment at the end of the stream, this is a video I will watch many times over. The discussion of where to place the wire on the location of the crown of the tree was very helpful. To be honest, I hadn’t even heard of the crown of the tree let alone it’s location. The four positions of your hand and wire was extremely helpful as well. Look forward to wiring techniques on secondary branches as well.

help

1 Like

For me it was a very informative stream. I had several AHA moments with regards to why, when I have wired branches, the branch flexes back and doesn’t stay as bent as I wanted. Will definitely re-watch this a few times! Thanks greatly for this stream.

2 Likes

In addition to the positioning of the body to the branch, what was most surprising was to put the wire on the inside of the bend. I have always been told to put the wire on the outside of the bend for support. That also means the holding wires are 1 wrap up and 1 wrap down from the bend. Having wire on the inside of the bend means the holding wires are only 1 wrap apart. So the chance for a tighter bend that holds. I will have to try it out. Now I am anxious to find out if detail wiring will follow the same pattern.

2 Likes

The Structural Wiring stream was, for me, one of the best streams yet! I learned so many nuances, like where to start the wire at the base of the tree when you’re wiring the trunk. I also liked the simple way Ryan summed up wiring…same angle, same distance between, and no gaps. Very easy to remember! I can’t wait for the rest of the fundamental streams to come out. You guys (and gal) are an amazing team!

4 Likes

As a new tier 2 member I’m fagocitating all the archive. For me is like the doors of knowledge are finally open. In particular this wiring series is a milestone for everyone no matter the level of experience. I love so much when something is explained from its theoretical/technical point of view because once you understand it, you’ll never lose that piece of information!
Thanks @ryan and all the Mirai Staff!

2 Likes