Where to go With This Scrub Oak

Just up-potted this little scrub oak. The exposed roots were too brittle to manipulate, but many of the roots below the surface were malleable and I could spread them out quite well. Are these exposed roots going to become massive imperfections in the tree down the road or can I lean into them as design features? Thanks for any advice!

Maybe a chance for a root over rock?

1 Like

Step one is to get it good and healthy in the current pot. Step two is to decide which of the three branches coming from the main trunk to remove. My first thought is to remove the center one, but that is late next winter at the earliest. If it grows well this spring, I would pinch out the top shoot on the two larger branches to encourage the lower branches.

1 Like

Not a bad idea! I have a few in development so it didnt’ cross my mind since I already have a few. I’ll have to give this some thought

1 Like

My thought was to remove a branch before the buds pop and let the tree direct energy to the two remaining ones. If I let it go for a season there isn’t much worry about inverse taper developing? At the very least pinching a strong one back will happen.

1 Like

I think you could let everything run for a year and then make a choice without the fear of inverse taper because of the age of the tree. With that said I am not an expert.

I would look at the angles (negative space) you have a lovely accurate angle keeping the smaller left and larger leader directly to the right. Where the two larger leaders make more of an obtuse angle but still nice. Basically do anything besides removing the middle branch and your good IMO.

1 Like

Thanks! I was thinking something similar, but I like the size difference between the two branches you chose. I’ll focus on the roots and trunk development this year and assess the branches next year

1 Like