The Mallsai Below Me

Inspired by my favorite thread (and of course the recent stream), let’s see some photos of the mallsai we’ve all had at some point.

Here’s mine - the first bonsai I ever bought

Here it is back in 2015 when i bought it from Bonsai Empire - Ficus Benjamina

Here it is this year (2021) after a fresh re-pot:

8 Likes

Everybody has to have a few of those :grinning:

Got these as gifts.
And here they are about 3 or 4 years later.
Sorry about the pic wlquality on the last one.

3 Likes

@Kenez What is the last one? Not much to go on.
Yes, I have mallsai… no photos of them though…:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

@KurtP the last pic is the after styling shot of that ficus ginseng above.

3 Likes

Long time dead but still…
At least it got a chance to thrive in cute Japanese pot before the draught took it’s life.

2 Likes

haha maybe i should have called it ‘mallsai graveyard’ … i definitely have more dead than alive

2 Likes

This snow rose has tried to die a few times now lives in the bathroom and seems happy for now

3 Likes

This was my first bonsai tree. I don’t even know how old it is, but I wish I knew what I was doing because it could be amazing now. It has to be at least 10 years old. It’s now starting its journey to a root over rock composition.

5 Likes

that’s awesome - i have a bunch of dwarf schefflera from fuku bonsai - i’m having fun experimenting with them:

root over rock (this one is probably my 2nd tree???)

combined these 2 into a joint composition over a jan culek slab

i had a pinyon yamadori die (tree was awesome i was pissed!!!:confounded:) so i kept the trunk and made this epiphytic design to make it look like the schefflera killed it (a la ‘strangler fig’ i’ve seen in cambodia angkor wat)

cheers

6 Likes

I get a lot of ficus as gifts…

Green Island Ficus (2013)

(2020)

Ficus #2 (2014)

(2020)

They’ve been great for experimenting on, because of how much they tolerate.

5 Likes

This was my first tree, started from a mallsai 2.5 years ago.

5 Likes

Just stopping in to say that what you’ve all done with mallsai is really incredible :slight_smile: I don’t have one myself but I’m half tempted to go rescue one from a store just to see if I’m up to the challenge!

4 Likes

that’s awesome - you got a ‘before’?

1 Like

3 Likes

In training roughly since 2011

5 Likes

I have a couple for sure.

4 Likes

those look really good! strong work

1 Like

Three from one!

I got these as a single “S” tree from a grocery store about 4 years ago. It was just like the ones Ryan demo’d on the live stream. I first air layered the cascade part off of the base, then air layered the tip of the cascade part later.

Processing: F03C6F96-8770-4E9D-9C8B-7432E811B49A.jpeg…Processing: EBED1390-2A49-47AC-B09D-05E550DA936B.jpeg…

4 Likes

2 Likes

4 Likes