The Bonsai Below Me - (Member photo challenge)

The tree below me is rooted over rock

10 Likes

Should we consider trying a new theme since it’s been so long?

Sure thing. After you think it’s too long, just announce a restart.

1 Like

Guess we gotta step up our ROR game!

I’m bringing this thread back like bell-bottoms in the '90’s.

My handy work wrapped in sphagnum. Figured I’d learn how to do a ROR with this one!

Started it last year. Unveiling this year!

The bonsai below me is blooming.

4 Likes

I will shorten it a litle more when the flowers are gone…
The tree below me is a cascade

5 Likes

Fresh re potted last month will start to refine in coming seasons.
The tree below me is a wild Juniper with deadwood!

5 Likes

FB_IMG_1520880991504

FB_IMG_1523382216770FB_IMG_1523716565851

Rocky Mountain Juniper. Almost ready to style this year.

The tree below me is a Lodgepole pine.

13 Likes

A lodgepole a month after repotting this year.
It is big. And the apex is gradually being pulled to the right.

The tree below was collected in 2017. (So as not to jinx anything collect this year)

7 Likes

Awesome lodgepole! This is a Eurasian Honeysuckle, highly invasive here in the Northeastern US. Don’t worry I won’t let it fruit. I actually collected this tree in August of 2017. I collected three, and performed a little experiment. I “sweated” this one and not the other two. This one survived August collection and is budding out very strong right now, while the two I did not sweat did not survive. “Sweating” trees is a horticultural technique used to FORCE a deciduous tree to grow new roots and foliage via 100% humidity and high heat. Basically I put this entire tree and pot into a black garbage bag, closed it, and put it in full sun for a week or two until it started pushing buds. I am planning on posting a thread on my experience with “Sweating” as a technique with more details… once I finish potting my trees lol. I really love this tree, the base at the soil line is about 9 inches across. But the real base and surface roots are buried under the soil right now so it’s probably more like 12 inches across at the base. Amazing taper. I will be carving the big cuts into hollows and deadwood features. Here she is:

The tree below me is a hornbeam species!

7 Likes

Hornbeam

The tree below me is a twisted Yamadori pine.

20 Likes

Beautiful tree! Well done!

1 Like

Following the Yamadori pine. This is a salvaged pine from my yard. Had three extremely long branches, over a meter each two extending to the right one to the left with some interesting crazy turns close to the base but uninteresting otherwise. I salvaged it and found an interesting nearly 4" base. Very little roots lost during digging and repotting on this small container. I didn’t style it, I just guy wired the branches around to keep the tree stable in the pot as it was falling over with all the weight a meter away from the small pot. The back branch on the right goes around the back and into the front left. The branch on the left with the crazy turn goes to the top and down to the right and the one on the right front goes to the top. Who knows what the future holds for this tree. I might toy with the general idea of what this is starting to look like or graft near the base maintaining the crazy turns. It goes to show that any tree is a design opportunity.

The bonsai below me is a conifer urban yamadori in refinement…

3 Likes

This juniper had it’s first repot this may from original field collection crate.
The main branch was very long and leggy so I twisted it around the apex for interest ( you can see formal apex still growing on top ).
Deadwood is progressing nicely and hope to reduce live vein even more in the spring of 2019. Will rewire in late fall for final structure before refinement starts.
The bonsai below is a dwarf lilac in development.

2 Likes

This is a dwarf Korean lilac I have had for the last 13 years. Sorry about the pic quality. She has put out an amazing amount of flowers after all the rain we had this year.
The Bonsai below me is a yew

4 Likes

This a yew that was rescued 3 years ago from a yard to be redesigned.
The tree below me is a Mountain Hemlock.

9 Likes

I wanted to show before and after to illustrate refinement

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from The Bonsai Below Me - (Member photo challenge):

I spotted this Mountain Hemlock last year, this years winter snow pack had broke it loose and it was sitting upside down held on by two major roots. All the feeder roots were still intact upon the rock surface. It had to be rescued.

5 Likes

You and that tree were destined to be together. A successful rescue mission I’d say.

2 Likes

@MtBakerBonsai What’s the “bonsai below you”? :wink: