Scots Pine styling

Hey,
first post here at the Mirai forums. I thought it’d be nice to get some feedback on a Scots Pine styling I did. It’s my second styling ever. I’m aware that the foliage is a bit heavy up top but I’m waiting to see how the tree reacts to the styling before I remove more foliage. /Simon

IMG_2672

4 Likes

Nice work for only your second styling and I like the tree. My thoughts regarding design is that you have a lot on one side so maybe distributing the green a bit around would give it more interest? Maybe if you covered some of the trunk? Or heck, maybe a future option could be to keep that apex on the top left and keep the long counter balance branch on the right and then once the branch holds its place (the dead one) jin that? I think that’s what you’re doing on the right side with the dead branch? Interested to see how this will progress. :slight_smile:

Thanks Thomas!
The picture is a bit deceiving. The tree is leaning forward and all branches are unfortunately stuck on the left side, even though it looks like they could reach around.
I did some more needle plucking since that picture. Here’s the current styling.

2 Likes

Excellent Literati candidate. I’d suggest letting grow mostly freely at least one and maybe two years to see strong growth before manor pruning. In Ryans Literati Live Stream he said that with such a small root system the tree does not need as much foliage to feed them. IF this tree is well established maybe next year will be good enough. The thin right branch could be an important part of this design so do not hurry to be rid of it. Patience and study. Personally I feel the left side foliage is way too much for this to be a proper Literati. Design according to what angle will have best movement of trunk for front. Because of apex coming forward perhaps turning 90 degrees left or right will show best front as this will add movement to trunk line if trunk is not too straight from these angles otherwise. Ultimately none or little of the foliage should cover the trunk line from the viewers perspective.

Nice tree!
In my opinion, I would remove the branch on the right or perhaps take it down to a little jin to give the tree flow to the left. Right now the 2 sides of the tree are competing with each other.
Also removing the lowest branch on the left would give it more of a literati style.
But of course, get the tree healthy first.

1 Like

@SimonSthlm , how did your scots pine fare this summer?
Post a photo!

Cool design. In still looking to add a pine to my collection.

Nice material! Thoughts: Ryan pointed out a principal that I’ve found really helpful. When in doubt, be true to the style the tree gives you ( my translation of the thought😉) If you have a feminine tree, as here, pull the design in closer to the trunk- think narrow and tall. Conversely, if masculine, compress and widen. Obviously, most trees are on a spectrum between these but this trees line is decidedly feminine with its tall slender trunk. So the branches would likely look best if pulled closer to the trunk and the whole thing having a narrower profile . The other thing is sparse foliage on feminine tree. Lovely tree!

hy
nice design but i think there is too much foliage on the top of the tree. Too “human” for me.
In France bunjyn pinus sylvestris are really rare in nature. They re more twisted trunk, really closed to the ground.
May be give more twist in the trunk.

1 Like

Btw, the above photo is a year old.
Still have not heard back from @SimonSthlm about the tree. Would love a updated photo…

KurtP

Yes I’m curious about the progress too!

Hey all and thanks for the response. This tree died, didn’t survive the winter unfortunately.

My sympathy for your loss.
I love all of my trees.

crap, sorry to hear that. It sucks loosing good material. I’ve had it happen many times. Spring of 2017 was the worst and I lost 4 trees that were ready to make the step to nice containers that year with some refinement already…
Head up and keep at it, maybe you did something that you can learn from.

It really depends on the area… in the Grand Est, we do get bunjin pinus sylvestris “in the wild” quite often. It’s almost the default look for old ones.

On a positive note I have about 20 other Scots pines that are doing great. This is one of my favorite trees at the moment.

3 Likes

Aaawwwh… now I don’t feel so bad…
My scots pine that I’ve been working on for 20y. Nursery, styled originally as a cascade, put into ground for 5y, cut off cascade branch (sacrifice? Carved nub on back of tunk) Potted up 5 years ago… waiting for lower limbs to get longer. (Use the cinder blocks for size perspective)

The buds this year are crazy. Love Biogold…

2 Likes

this used to be a cascade? :smiley: wild : )

It was designed at a workshop, with a good sensei.
The 2" SACRIFICE branch is in the back. Hated it. Design is WAY better now.
The scots pine stream was great! WATCH it.
My biggest problem is the multiplicity of buds. The tree looks WAY bushy. Wanted elongation on both lower limbs. Have not gotten it in the last 2 years growth. Pot is too big. Japanese pot, bought FOR the finished (!) tree design size…
I DO love the growth habit. Always plenty of choices with all of the buds.

1 Like