Repotting Question for young Juniper

Hey everyone! New to the forum and bonsai cultivation, so sorry in advance for the ignorance.

I just purchases this piece of material and want to know, when is the right time is to repot it and place it in something other than a nursery pot? Should I wait for it to be bigger before transferring it out of the nursery pot?

Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

Depending on where you live but in the US, now is a good time to do that work. I would get it out of the nursery pot and in some growing container of some kind with a bonsai type mix. Be mindful for it not to be too large for the tree. you want to strike a balance. What is your end goal with this tree? this will determine some current actions.

1 Like

Thanks!

My primary goal is just for it to be healthy and thrive, since I am new to this. I want to successfully transfer it into a pot and trim it at the base so that more of the trunk can be seen.

Over the spring I want to also wire wrap it to create a more appealing look. Though I am not certain exactly how I want it to look quite yet - my idea is to draw a few pictures of how I want it to look, then try to wire wrap it according to that idea. So similar to my previous question, is this material too young to wire wrap?

I live in the US, central Texas

Welcome to bonsai Bruce!!
Start in the library if you can, with the Beginner Series. It was created with you in mind and will answer many of the questions we all asked when we began. Perhaps with this one. https://live.bonsaimirai.com/library/video/beginner-series-cleaning-conifers
Resist your urges to do too much too fast. That is hard to do, but wanting to do it all right now is normal. Repot, Restyle and wire all at the same time is not usually recommended. That said, being nursery stock it allows you much more latitude. It is a young plant, strong and rather inexpensive. Let’s say you do it ALL now and it dies…what’s the harm? It is a good learning experience. You get to wire, cut, repot and then also learn hands on some of the skills and that maybe that was too much…not all bad IMO.
Have fun.
Bonsai On!!

3 Likes

@BruceTheCat How did the juniper do This summer?
I have several mini trees like this. Repotted, wired, and trimmed. In the proper timing, of course. The younger trees have more resiliency. Set the structure early, grow n clip! Very satisfying bonsai!
Bonsai On!