Need some help with my first juniper

This is my itoigawa juniper. I bought it six months ago I haven’t done anything to it yet. I’m wondering when I can repot. It looks like the roots are actively growing and I have one shoot extending. The tree also have some juvenile foliage so maybe it hasn’t been in the best conditions previously. Repot now or wait?

Btw all design tips are appreciated, I have a few ideas but none seem awesome. The lower branches are weak and long. The healthier foliage is very far from the roots and main trunk, the trunk is also very slim at the top.

1 Like

It appears as you said, new root growth and some juvenile foilage. Looking at the root ball, it seems that there is a lot of room to grow still. I would not repot or trim any root mass at this time. I would instead focus in balancing the strength of the foilage. Start with the top and remove just enough to match the lower, weaker branches. And allow to grow uninterrupted for the remainder of the year. Just my thoughts.

1 Like

when I get a new species I watch their behavior for at least one growing season while trying to find out more information. you should work on your trees if you feel confident enough that you know what you do. Does this makes sense?

1 Like

I think it is sufficiently healthy to be reported if you have already an idea of the angle/front - You probably don’t need to cut away much of the roots as it is already in a tiny pot. Just tease away the soil carefully to do away with the most limiting part which is the bottom, if you do it carefully you’ll be able to spread the hanging roots in the bonsai pot. Also tease away some on the edges to blend the soil with the bonsai substrate. I think you’re still ok to repot now. I think it is a higher risk If you style now and repot next year as the if by chance a branch dies after repot it may be an important one. If you don’t do anything then you lost a year - this tree is super healthy already. It has clearly been trained to be a bonsai as it grew.

1 Like

thank you for all your input! gave me a bit to think about and also confirmed some of my thoughts. I think I will repot and keep the foliage so I can rebuild the roots faster and if its healthy this fall or maybe next season ill get going on the pruning and styling.