Penjing #1 Design

It’s not Rabbitbrush, but a close relative.

Is it in Artemesia? Cana, Douglasiana, Tridenta?

No condescension intended. I’m just running out of Oprah gifs.

1 Like

Hahahaha dammit!!! You’ve thrown me for a loop.

1 Like

Note: Ericamera albida, rabbitbrush, does have white flowers, and the leaves look VERY similar. Only found in death valley area…

1 Like

@Delrious I’m definitely not ready to give up on this one. I’m sure we are learning a lot of family and genus species :grinning::metal:t2:

I know this is going out on a limb! Is it a Daisy? :thinking:
Asteraceae ericameria is in the Daisy family so I’m throwing this guess in the batch :upside_down_face:

White flowered goldenbush

This thread is hilarious.

2 Likes

You’re getting closer.

I’d highly recommend anyone into Bonsai go out scouting for trees even if you have no intent on digging. If you do it enough, you start get over that gnarly pine tunnel vision and start to see the myriad of other interesting species that have never been utilized.

@Delrious I have absolutely no clue what that tree/plant is, but I love the composition. Just wanted to say that. It’s so fantastic. Reminds me of the Monterey cypress trees.

1 Like

@KurtP You live in Eastern Washington, are you going to go out and look for one of these specimens to get a good close up?
I’m going to be over there visiting my son at Gonzaga for family weekend, maybe I will get away for a bit and try to find one :metal:t2::evergreen_tree::+1:t2::grinning:

1 Like

Exhausted my search guesses from ‘Flora of the Pacific NW…’ and google… and personal eyeball.
I think he is just blowing smoke… :grin: nice bonsai though…
I live here. Go Zags!
Do you know anyone else here? IEBS.

2 Likes

Honestly I’m surprised you guys haven’t figured it out yet given how close some of your guesses have been.

It’s an Ericameria.
It has white flowers.
It grows in Eastern Washington, Idaho and Oregon on Rocky soils in arid areas.
One more hint since Chris is heading out that way: you can frequently see it growing on rocky bluffs over the Columbia river and alongside freeways.

1 Like

I’m calling my Ericameria ID a win and claiming my prize. Wait, there’s a prize, right? (Queue the Oprah gif)

1 Like

No free cars until someone guesses the exact species!

1 Like

Nevadenesis or linearfolia?

It is not one of those.

I’m going to give my brain a day of rest from its meltdown overload! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: