My Oak got new Tom Benda Shoes

Hi all. not sure if I have the right category but I’m sure it will be moved if not.

Over the spring, RIGHT before but burst I put my oak in to its new container I asked Tom to make for it. I knew exactly what shape and size I wanted and Tom absolutely nailed it to the exact millimetre (not sure what american is for millimetre). As for colour, I knew I wanted a green or blue. I know Tom has a great deep blue and a pale blue in his locker so the blue would have been the dark deep one. But something about Oak says green to me. So I asked him to surprise me with a green. And did he ever!

I put this little video together on my youtube channel, Its not one of these cheesy channels where guys who have just started practising bonsai take it upon themselves to teach others. My channel is more or a showcase thing to promote bonsai in an artistic light, well that is what I am aiming for anyway. So apologises for there being nothing but trees on there.

I would really love to hear your thoughts on the two together? Let me know and don’t worry about offending.

13 Likes

Beautiful tree and pot and I agree the streaked green is a wonderful compliment to the bright green oak. I like your wisteria in the background - you are way ahead of me. Mine are just starting grow.

2 Likes

Gorgeous tree. Beautiful pot, well done Dean!

1 Like

Love that combination Dean. You’ll need to talk to me when the tree is ready!

1 Like

Great combination @Dean_Kelly, a tree with a very bright future. Tom Brenda’s work is very fine and I agree that the subtle greens harmonise nicely with the tree, while the wood fired variation of the glaze accentuate the age of the composition (I have a Ligustrum ovalifolium in a Chinese pot with a similar, though far less refined, glaze). I particularly like the choice of a square pot with sculpted corners, the dimensions and form are lovely!
Two of my most refined trees (both deciduous, as most of my trees are) will go into their ‘final’ pots next spring and I’m so very excited about it!
I see from your caption that you will be using partial defoliation, I’m sure it will work well for you. I too am in the UK and have been annually reducing the foliage mass of my Quercus cerris over the last few years and have found that it balances energy well, particularly if you are selective and focus on the apical growth. I’m seeing back-budding and increased vigor on lower branches durring refinement that I feared I would loose earlier in it’s development.

1 Like

Truly, two masterpieces as one. l have been collecting quercus alba (white oak in Ontario, Canada). One is a shohin l am getting ready for a Benda pot l have. Funny, half way around the world, bonsai people on a similar mission even if my tree is not even close in quality as yours. We love all of our children equally.

2 Likes

@Blown55 I will for sure in time. There is a lot of ramification to be build and a big ol re bar to come out before it will be going on any outings. But when it does it will most defiantly be taking a trip to Harlington.

2 Likes

Gorgeous gorgeous tree and the pot is really lovely - they are a really good complement to each other.

1 Like