Mirai team demonstration at the Best of 20 Years Thropy in Genk, Belgium

Yes, it was a Hokkaido Juniper

2 Likes

But i must say that the demo from Mr. Masayuki Fujikawa, on sunday,was an absolute prodigious tranformation of a tree.

Iam thinking that almost no european artist, has turn this raw material, into this amazing bunjingi bonsai.

I think time is starting a new bonsai artists generation, who are not just turning the trees upside down!

2 Likes

Here the tree.

I hope somebody has a before picture.

4 Likes

Here is a link to the tree before https://www.facebook.com/100014559068046/posts/551552428673388?sfns=cl

1 Like

Not my work but I feel that this captures the ‘feel’ of the weekend very well. It was a superb show. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ0-qhYWv5Y

3 Likes

Hokkaido is a location, not a type of juniper in my experience. The photo you shared says “Juniperus from Hokkaido” Just curious of the type of juniper and its history. Looks like it has been through many hands. :thinking:

Shimpaku i believe. II don’t know for sure but suspect that Gingko Bonsai Centre would have imported it directly from Japan.

1 Like

@Bonsai_bob I just remember that Ryan called it a Hokkaido Juniper because it comes from the North of Japan and he mentioned that the foliage is more coarse and longer compared to other shimpaku junipers, but i’m not sure if hokkaido juniper is the right type name.

1 Like

3 Likes

I remember Ryan stating that we need to refer to material by its correct botanic name to remove confusion and to have a common understanding of the species @ryan I realize that they have to work with what they are offered as material. But to continue our understanding the use of genus, species, and type or variety would be very helpful. Just trying to understand the similarities and differences of the vast juniper world. I will never get to work on an ancient yamadori from asia, but can apply the knowledge and technique to the material that is available to me. I am so grateful to all who have shared the experience from Belgium. Thank you all and keep on sharing what you can!! :thinking::thinking::thinking:

http://wbffbonsai.com/Info/ShimpakuJuniper.pdf

This is well worth a read.

3 Likes

Definitely the A+++++ team. You guys killed it !

1 Like

Definitely worth a feature content video exploring the decision making process in re-styling this tree.

There is a youtube video from Mauro Stemberger and at 14:45 you can see Ryan`s work on that Juniper!

Best regards!
Volker
3 Likes

So… was watching the Bonsai Empire advanced course by Bjorn, lesson number 9: Techniques - Junipers. Bjorn goes through the junipers of Japan and describes where they were or are collected.
Juniperus chinensis

Itoigawa - Nigata prefecture northern japan no longer collectable due to restrictions.

Tohoku - northern japan

Hokkaido - formerly know as Ezo… very far north japan

Hokkaido

Kishu - collected in south central japan

Wakayama Prefecture

[

Wakayama Prefecture

Present-day Wakayama is mostly the western part of the province of Kii.[3]
](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wakayama_Prefecture)

So… the various types of Juniperus chinensis are classified by where they were or are collected.
I am trying to understand the differences of junipers around the world. I have a long way to go to understand all the different varieties and their various growth pattern and foliages.
I hope this information is useful to some members of this forum. :persevere:
I did not know that Shimpaku refers to any cultivar of Juniperus chinensis, not any specific variety per se. live and learn and read… forget and learn again…

I happened to come across the Stemberger video on Trophy XX this pm while surfing Youtube. After seeing the clip on Ryan’s demo, I did some web searching and came up with the following Youtube video that shows a large part of the working on the tree by Ryan, Troy and Todd. Also, I found a site with pictures of the Trophy XX including pictures of the tree before and after styling AND after repotting.

(2) Bonsai demo Masayuki Fujikawa,Ryan Neil,Vaclav Novak,Gabriel Romero Aguadé at Noelander trophy XX - YouTube
The Trophy XX 2019 – Shumi no Bonsai (wordpress.com)

Watching Ryan work on any tree is amazing, but the work he did on this tree, turning it upside down is mind blowing!

1 Like

I was there, it was amazing.

I saw the tree last year by Danny Use, it is alive and healthy.

Cool! I would have loved to have seen that live!

The repot was great to see, and Ryan commentary about not removing any roots was valuable