Leaving branches after repot

So Ive been a member for a few months now and Im trying to keep up with the immens amount of knowledge. But between trying to see everything and remembering everything alot of time is going to be needed.

I remember Ryan saying to leave branches and foliage on junipers and pines. I cant recall if thats the same on decidious, broadleaf evergreens and elonggating species:)

So in this repot season, do I leave the ‘prune as much as you rootprune’ or not:)
Some help would be appreciated!

5 Likes

Welcome to Mirai Niek. There are definitely nuances to different types of trees. When first started, I remove a bunch of branches from a beautiful Hinoki cypress, only to find out later that they don’t back bud much if at all. I’m left with a sparse Hinoki. Use the search engine and include Q&A and scroll. It’s a lot of work but worth it! Also the library filter on the left hand side of the page will help narrow things down. In the beginning at least, you can clean some branches to see what you have (see beginners conifer and deciduous streams), but re-potting when necessary will insure health for your trees.