Golden Hinoki Cypress Nursery Stock

I can’t believe a found a tree that has a decent trunk and developed branches at a nursery! I purchased this tree to get some practice because I’m very sparse in material. Looking for ideas on design. Its a multi trunk Hinoki. Any help would be most appreciated!

1 Like

Hi Daniel, there is a stream on Hinoki in the library. It may be worth watching that first to give you an idea of what to do.

1 Like

Looks gnarly, very healthy too.

I’m a beginner as well, but I’d probably start by working the soil to see what kind of Nibari you’re working with. After that clean up the foliage. There’s a lot of videos where Ryan harps on cleaning and explains it well XD.

Take your time, look it thoroughly, and identify any interesting pieces and keep in mind overall taper and good branch structure when looking at usable branches.

1 Like

Haha, I recognize this from reddit. Definitely watch the hinoki stream… multiple times. Hinoki is its own thing for sure. Do not put any wire on the tree at this time of the year. Don’t ask me how I know lol. :weary:

My biggest issue with hinoki is that it won’t readily back bud. Ryan says that it will, but I’ve not seen it yet. Instead I’ve had to strategically maneuver branches and foliage into places where I need them. I love my golden though. The new growth absolutely glows. Very eye catching.

1 Like

I was wondering I would see a member from here in Reddit loool. Yea I’ve watched that stream and it makes me nervous because I want to make sure if I cut something off or prune it, that I won’t regret the decision lol

1 Like