Help Me Choose a Tree!

Hey guys!

I found these two interesting Hawthorn trees. First one is probably more expensive, being offered to me for some 300 euros. The second one is on an auction, so I won’t really know the final price, but it will probably be less than the first one (if I actually manage to win).

The first one is a clump, with the main trunk having a kinda uninteresting straight section. It’s got potential, but is it worth 300 euros (plus shipping)?

The second one is a raft, but I’m concerned with the upwards heading end of it. It’s been cut and any new growth was cut from it so I suspect it will likely die back to the nearest branch (basically turning the raft into a clump).

What do you guys think, #1 or #2?

Hawthorn #1

Hawthorn #2

2 Likes

I personally like #2 a lot better. It has appealing curvature and could make a decent base for a raft maybe? But yeah that’s a reasonable concern about die back.

I’m not sure I would go for the first one. The lack of transitional taper is hard to reconcile for me. BUT I know Ryan and some others here have an uncanny ability to find beauty in any tree, so if you find it appealing, I’m sure there’s value there. Just personally, I think you can probably find something with a little more shape for that price.

3 Likes

Valid points all. I think I’ll probably skip on both. I really want a hawthorn though! Lol

1 Like

I would go with no 2 as the multiple hard straight lines in no 1 would always bother my eye.

Personally, I would look for something that isnt trunk chopped. I think both of these will take a long time to look more natural, and 300 E for the first one is rather steep imho. If I was in Europe, I would be looking for yamadori scots pine. So easy to learn on, and you get results fast with the added ability to manipulate the hell out of em.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ll probably go for yamadori come spring, but honestly, I kinda hate pines haha. I have a thing for deciduous trees and conifers don’t really make sense to me. Like I can appreciate a good pine, if it were well executed, but I dislike 99% of them and I don’t really know what I would do with one.

That said, if the opportunity arises, I won’t shy away from a pine (probably not Scotts, as we have our own Macedonian pine).

1 Like

hahaha, people are so different! I dont really get deciduous, and pines are second nature to me! I havent heard of a Macedocian pine, and i’d love to see one if you ever collect.

Bonsai on!

1 Like

I’d go with #2. The other one is too vertical.

1 Like

I rejected both. I might get a prunus if things work out with shipping though, and it’s much better than these two! Fingers crossed.

2 Likes