Help identify this cypress for proper care

I’ve recently acquired this tree (and many others) for next to nothing. A local shop on Long Island, NY had its owner pass away and the next of kin was getting rid of everything to simply sell off the land. I felt bad but great opportunity to expand my collection.

What exact type of cypress is this? It is very developed and in need of pinching or pruning to reduce the development and reform the pads. I haven’t found any streams from Ryan about pinching or pruning cypress. Am I missing anything? I want to make sure this tree stays in great form. I am assuming this time of year (mid-spring) is the right time of year for this type of work.

Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

Looks like a Juniper to me.

1 Like

I had not even considered that as the operator of the store said cypress. Now that you say it i think you may be right. This tree would need some serious live vein cleaning.

Any idea what sub species?

1 Like

The common name cypress covers a lot different species. Some of them (including cupressus) does have foliage like this.

Possibly a Monterey cypress, which there have been streams on.

1 Like

A close up of the foliage would probably help those with far more knowledge of the different species and cultivars than I identify it.

1 Like

sorry its taken at night, i can take another tomorrow.

3 Likes

Thats definitely Shimpaku juniper foliage :+1:t2:

Thank you! I’m pleasantly surprised even though I probably should have recognized that.

Is there any way to tell exactly which subspecies it is? It has a lot of strong growth and ideally I’d like to propagate from it.

1 Like

A very nice one at that!

1 Like