Functional aesthetics - maximum aeration crazy container

Yes, this is a bonsai container. Ultra-light high-strength sealed concrete. A ponderosa pine will go in it. Long fibre Sphagnum moss and living moss will cover all lateral openings. This will contribute to a superior aeration. Functional aesthetics. I created a number of containers in the past that increase aeration by having lateral gaps, these holes that at times are quite big are covered with long fibre sphagnum moss just like a Mirai style moss wall. This one here maximizes it.The negative space that is created by the gaps also visually serves to decrease the visual weight of the container, the same function that mid pot decorations have as Ryan explained. If you look carefully, the top most ribbon comes in a bit, this is to break the symmetry of the circle as well as to make the pot feel smaller without impeding any future repotting action, there is plenty of space to remove the tree through the rest of the planting area. The pot weights 9.5 lb (4.3 kg) and measures about 14" in diameter and 8" or 5" deep with and without consideration of the upper ribbon.

3 Likes

Great new way… Please show us the pot with the pine … i am curious how it looks …

1 Like

Thanks @stone, will do. sometime in the next couple of weeks.

I like it. I’d like to know what concrete mix you used. I’m trying to do some concrete containers and have struggled to get the right mix to make it sculptable.

Hi @AbrahamWilson, thanks. I have in the past used rapid set mortar, and to make it workable I added plasticizer. You can see this in the video below.

More recently, I changed to a lighter mix that replaces sand for expanded glass micro beads from a company called poraver. You can see the process in the video below.

In both cases I add fibres to increase strength and seal them at the end with concrete sealer.

Hope this helps.
Good luck.

1 Like

Welp I know what I’m doing this weekend…Awesome thanks man!!!

1 Like