My bonsai containers

Hello everyone,
I am sharing pictures of bonsai receptacles that I made. They are made of galvanized steel and polymers.

IMG_4755

IMG_4763

IMG_4760

In a few days I will show you other containers that I have not finished yet
Thanks
Shany

11 Likes

Very nice.
Are they steel mesh frames made into shape?
What polymer is the coating? How are they coloured?

1 Like

Thanks Jimothy :slight_smile:
I use steel mesh frames with galvanized steel rods.
I use two kinds of polymers. The first is softer to allow better penetration of the frame. The second is firmer and allows to create many details.
For the color I use a mixture of oil paint and liquid polymer. Everything is cooked afterwards. I was inspired by painting techniques of scale models

1 Like

@Shany That is some serious artistry there. I like the organic feel and natural appearance as well as texture of those containers. Online store?

1 Like

thank you so much Nathan,
Yes the shapes are very organic, I like the contrast between the stone look and the organic forms. I try to communicate a story, as if the stone had melted and then come to life.

I started making these bonsai pots for my own pleasure but several people encouraged me to start a small workshop. I have a website, but I do not sell my creations yet. The website is not yet fully operational. I give myself 2 weeks to finish it.
www.Shanedesign.ca

Those are awesome! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks Bonsai_Bentley :slight_smile:

For those who would like to see more photos of my work, here is the site of my workshop: www.shanedesign.ca

A new recipient in progess. I am very happy with the results of my new technique to create a slate texture.

2 Likes

@Shany wow that looks amazing :+1: I can imagine a tree and some moss on it now, are they heavy?

1 Like

Thank you Ali10
No it is not very heavy, especially compared to cement or concrete while being resistant to frost and impact.

Fantastic, they would go quick if you was going to sell them, great work

I finally finished my container. For the color I was inspired by the slate stone of my region, very black / blue with silver reflections.

1 Like

Very interesting - what is the material?
Did you make it for a specific tree or what sort of tree do you envision occupying it?

1 Like

I use steel mesh frames with galvanized steel rods.
I use two kinds of polymers. The first is softer to allow better penetration of the frame. The second is firmer and allows to create many details.
For the color I use a mixture of oil paint and liquid polymer. Everything is cooked afterwards. I was inspired by painting techniques of scale models.

For the moment I am refining my technique and I am exploring several ideas. My goal is to create these containers with a specific and unique design for each tree.

1 Like

I have been following Nigel Saunders’ YouTube channel for almost its beginnings, the one I call the Bob Ross of bonsai :).For those who do not know who Nigel Saunders is, he is one of the most notorious amateur of the Canadian bonsai scene. Its Youtube channel (The Bonsai Zone) is followed by more than 140,000 subscribers. I wanted to offer him a creation that would challenge him a little! He decided to make a series of videos on this collaboration. A dream come true for me.

1 Like

That’s awesome! Congrats! I’ve added this to my watch list.

1 Like

Cool! Love them…Looking forward to seeing trees in them!

1 Like

Awesome Shany!
Looks like you are a new Jan Culek! I tried to google
Polymers but the only things I got were something about
Polymer clay. Can you post a source what you exactly use?
Thx
Volker

The second video of Nigel Saunders with my pot. This is a special moment for me because it is the first time that I see one of my pots with a tree planted in it! In a few years it will be a beautiful composition.

1 Like