Fall... is here!

Some of the colors in my garden:

8 Likes

I wish I could grow maples like this. :sob: Even my in-ground maples hate my climate.

Living the deciduous dream over there Drew!
(If you went by the full Andrew I would have gone with “admirable acers”)

2 Likes

@Bonsai_Bentley Have you tried Acer rubrum - red maple? I believe it is native to your region.

My large trident that looks a bit like @Drew’s 3rd picture is near mid-summer green and we are expecting -11C/12F over the weekend and my greenhouse is not ready to put up. I will me making due with everything on the ground, tarps over the benches, and a heater on a thermostat in with the trees. Should work well, but means I have to move everything three times since the greenhouse goes where the benches are located!

2 Likes

I actually do have some rubrum that I basically plucked from the ground last year or grew from seed this year. They grow well for me. I’ll be chopping their trunks post harden next year.

1 Like

Gaaahhh!

Skipped fall… 4 " by midnight…

2 Likes

Ice n snow snapping 6" branches in my landscape trees.
Went from 45F to 15 in two nights. My bonsai were NOT ready to go to bed… now they will have to wait… 50F expected wednesday …

Yea! BONSAI! ON!

6 Likes

I shall never moan about our climate again! I’m still waiting for some of my zelkovas to go into autumn while some sat next to them on the benches have defoliated completely.

1 Like

Hope SPRINGS eternal… temps at 60F days down to 28 at night.
My newer nursery Acer rubrum is leafing. (Blue pot above.) Repoted and reduced the root, second time. Shallower pot. Lost several small limbs over winter. Hmmm…
Hawthorne forest leaves are opening.
Crab apple too, repot, needed 5 feet of circling roots removed. Can’t find last repot date; probably 10 years… it is only 18" tall.
Need 25 gallons of lava rock this year for future mix. None in sight… Oooh! Oregon road trip!
Bonsai On!

1 Like

Thought I would include a current photo of the Acer…

Had to wedgie the remaining roots in…
. Bonsai On!

Planned ahead and took everything with leaves or buds inside unheated barn late yesterday…
It WAS 17F last night. That is COLDER that ALL winter…
:joy::rofl::sweat_smile::unamused::blush:

You have a wonderful bench. Did you do it by yourself? If so - do you have a blueprint for it maybe? :wink:

I would also be intrested in how you made your benches :thinking: