Fall... is here!

Aaaaannnd … now it’s snowing…!
If you don’t like the weather here (Pacific NW) wait 5 minutes.
This will be a crazy big storm when it hits the central plains and then Michigan… lots of wet and cold as it cycles over the rockys… predicting feet of snow there.
My Acer rubra today(see above…)

My 10yo from seed little leaf linden…

2 Likes

:+1:t2:

I always say “4 seasons all wrapped up in a day”

1 Like

We’ve had a months rain in the last 36 hours and another months rain due in the next 48 hours. It is around 2 weeks since I last had to water my trees and no real let up in sight over the next couple of weeks. During a brief respite in the rain I found one of my pine pre-bonsai looking very yellow, I suspect from too much rain and I have now moved them all under cover into my greenhouse. Whilst doing that I found one of the European hornbeams tucked away at the back of the bench has started to turn. It won’t be long before I can give it a haircut and some wire.

3 Likes

Still have a whole week of weather in the 90’s (30’s), and then it drops…10 degrees. :sweat:

At least overwintering isn’t a thing for me. :stuck_out_tongue: Lots of time to play with junipers though.

1 Like

It was 100 here yesterday afternoon. Then last night it dropped 40 degrees. It was 61 this morning and glorious. It was the most enjoyable coffee and tree watering time I have had in I can’t say how long. God Bless Texas.

2 Likes

Oddly enough, now we get a reprieve…
65 and sunny today. Landscape maple trees are bright yellow— with a cloud of blue fuzzy aphids .
Spent a lovely afternoon fall trimming maple bonsai; and other decideous trees.
Had to go (hang out) high mountain hunting for a week. Froze my patootie off. Food was great. (THEY did OK hunting…)
However (the important things in life), I did NOT see anything to responsibly bonsai… was hoping for a red fir or a tamarak.
Elk steak almost makes up for it…
Have to get my winter storage organized soon…

3 Likes

An Elk steak is a treat.

Reworking my benches to maximize my space, and find spots for a few new trees.
Fall color is a few weeks away from change here, but with the true high temps gone I am thankful.

1 Like

25F and snow yesterday morning. 64F and sunshiny afternoon. 19F last night. Only 1/4 winterizing done…
I just keep reminding myself how resilient these bonsai are…
On a lighter note… SEEDS everywhere! Acer, linden, Japanese larch, Ponderosa, malus, kiwi, hawthorne… I have to remind myself these take time to grow up! Herds of new seedling! Mame! I did note Ryan has a forklift…

Note: when pulling 3rd year needles off of ponderosa… keep an eye out for those spurious small beds. You need them.
Also, when trimming dead leaves off beech (checking structure…) watch the scisser angle, don’t cut he new buds off…

1 Like

I think the bulk of the colors have peaked here in Ohio. Rain and temps dipping below 40 this week.

2 Likes

Just got everybody settled into bed… still need to do mulch cover. Not cold enough yet for tarps. Already been down to 19F.
Back yard…

Early. Heavy, and cold.45 mph winds from the NNE.
Enjoy YOUR winter!

1 Like

BAH Humbug! Zone 8b and near 20 degrees tonight. Hate Fall, Hate Winter, Hate cold! BAH Humbug again!

1 Like

8.0F here this morming…

I had to over winter everything this week with temps dropping to 14F last night. The temps go back up this week with it not dropping to freezing once and highs near 70F. So i’m going to bring everything up and tape an aspirin to my back!

2 Likes

@mister_ted what kind of soil do you have that elm in?

late spring pinching in Curitiba/BR GMT-3, 12 to 32 °C

seeing the matsus growing

1 Like

Still late fall here, had excessive amounts of rain for the last 2 months and only a couple of freezes just below 30F.

I love the cold misty starts to the day at this time of day and with the shorter days I am awake to see them.

Best colours this year is this newly collected field maple from the beginning of the year.

5 Likes

lidocaine patches work better!! :smiley:

2 Likes

This is a box elder (Acer negundo) seedling that that I decided to style due to its rough bark. It is coarse with big leaves that reduce a bit with partial defoliation. This year it is about the only tree that has shown fall color before we hit a big freeze over the next several days. Probably about the best it has ever looked after it lost about 1/2 of the leaves!

4 Likes

Fall in Switzerland…

10 Likes

Nice Michel n Marty.
This is the only one of my trees that showed ANY color this year… 20 yo Norway maple. Not much yet, but I grew this from seed…

Did a major root reduction last year. Another this spring , and into a bonsai pot!

5 Likes