Example of adding heavy wire to create more anchor points instead of drilling more anchor holes

For this project, I wanted to anchor 23 trees to the slab but I didn’t want to drill any more holes than necessary. The same process can be used in pots with not enough wire holes. As long as the added anchor wires offer rock solid stability, you should be fine. Note in the photo that the thin wires have a twist beneath the heavy wires. This allows me to easily thread wires beneath the heavy wires.

WireAnchorLines

8 Likes

Hi Bill, Is there a reason that you are using copper wire instead of galvanized wire? Is it so you can more easily correct the positions if your original plan needs adjustment?

1 Like

PLAN?

It’s actually anodized aluminum. The process was to draw out the wall placement in chalk, then drill the anchor points.

The first time I saw the technique of augmenting anchor points with heavy wire was at a BCI event in 2009. Nacho Marin was in New Orleans from Venezuela. He did a forest in a 24" pot that only had two drain holes. He and his team built a simple anchor grid inside of the pot before they began.

The alternative is drilling holes in the pot. I don’t like that idea at all. At an out-of-state auction, this one particular club seemed to be a drill-happy place. Nearly all the pots in the auction had extra holes in them. No matter how well the holes were drilled (and some were NOT drilled well), I didn’t bid on any of those pots. Opinions vary.

Granted, drilling holes in a slab is necessary and customized, but drilling holes in a pot seems to be an insult to the artist who created the pot. Even mass-produced pots. It also feels like I’ve ruined it in a selfish way.

4 Likes

I honestly love the idea! As it is, I would imagine that moisture retention is more difficult on a slab, and adding extra holes on the bottom only aggravates the problem. As long as the correct type of wire is used, the solution is functional, yet simple and elegant.

As an aside, I only have inexpensive, mass produced containers right now. I don’t mind making a few extra holes for wires, if it means a better container for the material.

I could never see myself putting a drill bit to a container sculpted by an artist, though. The container is what the artist wanted it to be. It’s why ceramicists who know the craft are so invaluable. They make containers that are beautiful and functional.

2 Likes