Cutting from seedlings

Hallo,
in spring I made some cuttings from seedlings of scots pine.
Here a short intermediate result to show the difference and the advantage of the cuttings.

left seedling - right cutting

3 Likes

Good to know this works for Scots pine.

1 Like

I think it also works with other pine varieties. I get this idea from seeds of JBP. And I also tried it with larch.

1 Like

What age was your cutting when you started? This year, or older? I’ve done some black pine cuttings that were just a few months old, but I’m curious if you’ve gone beyond that.

I mixed the seeds in january in moist sand, filled it in a glas and put it in the coole ( for stratification). Around the 25th of february the seeds began to grow, so I sowed them in the seedbed. In Mid April I made the cuttings.
The best time describes Ryan in Live Q+A 129 around 18:45 min. This method gives good stuff for shohin and mame.

It also works a treat for the Picea genus.

In reading this thread, it seems you can use the root cutting technique in any pine variety, such as JRP, JWP, and others. Did I understand this correctly?

Thanks. :grinning:

Hi, I saw it in a magazine with JBP an I tried it by my self successfully with scots pine and larch. In this sate of development I think you could use it on any kind of seedling. The uncommon thing is to use the cutting technique by a seedling. At the beginning this circumstance made me a little uncertain too. But I think loosing e seedling by failure is one of the cheapest mistakes you can made in our hobby.:wink: