Cut or ‘scratch’ for callous?

Ryan obviously recommends precise cutting with a razor blade to encourage good callous formation but i’ve had other credible professionals recommend ‘scratching’ or ‘roughing up’ the edge with a chopstick.

This is a bald cypress with a trunk chop (original cut a few years ago) - i treated the right side (your/viewers right) with a sharp precise razor blade cut and the left side w roughing via chopstick; same cut paste was used on both sides.

1st photo is at time of cut in the spring 2020, 2nd photo was from today late winter; I’m in Houston.

You be the judge!

from 4/7/2020:

from today 12/17/2020:

to my eye right side looks much more calloused; obviously this is just a single tree and specific species but I thought I’d share

Happy Bonsai’ing!

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing, I have a bald cypress that could use this to help seal up a wound.

That looks good…
I love my hand carving tools. Sharp knives, saws, pull cut bark knives, gouges, and chisels!
Tried my (real sharp) grafting knife.Tried a boxcutter razor blade. Tried an exacto blade. None were controllable enough, or gave ragged edges on the callous. Was not pleased.
I have several fine cutter blades on a dremel type moter.
The inverted cone that doesn’t have cutters on the (face) works great. Easily cuts a fine slice on the leading edge of the callous without cutting dead wood deaper. Seems to work well over several years on larger wounds. New growth on most worked edges.
I can also carve the face of the wound almost any curve I need with the other blades. I also have one of the circular chainsaw blades. Real FAST wood removal… scares the bejebous out of me.
Someday, I WILL upgrade to a Fordham… When I have enough carving to do.
Maybe for Xmas? Santa?
Bonsai On.

1 Like