Cleaning Pots Practices

Hi Mirai people!
I’d like to have some information about the best practice in cleaning pots. Do you use particular products? Do you use different approaches for glazed and unglazed pots? I’m expecially focusing on limescale removal and polishing.
Consider that I live in Italy, so maybe commercial product names will be different but the substantial principle should be the same.
Thanks in advance :hugs:

1 Like

Clean using a nylon brush to remove dirt and loose bits of lime buildup. Then vinegar/water at 1:4 ratio. Soak for an hour and scrub with a nylon brush. Repeat as necessary. Rinse well with clean water and allow it to dry. You can then disinfect with chlorine bleach/water at 1:20 ratio. Soak for 24 hours. Rinse well, soak in clean water for an hour, let it dry completely.

Glazed pots are easier to clean. Unglazed pots might never look like new again, but they’ll have character, so that’s okay.

Pot cannot have a tree in it, just so you know.

9 Likes

We use olive oil to polish pots :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Thanks for the detailed description of your method!
It seems quite laborious but I think it’s the way to go!

Thanks @Kendall!
Where I live (south Italy) there’s no problem in finding olive oil. We’re full of ancient (I mean centenary/millenarian) olive trees too. As always simplest things are the best things :+1:

2 Likes

I just spent two weeks visiting family in Formia. Can’t wait to get back, I fell in love with Italy quick. As for cleaning, olive oil works wonders…being in south Italy I know you won’t have a problem finding olive oil, haha!

2 Likes

I have had success soaking pots in biological washing detergent (for cloths).

1 Like

Really? I never heard about this.
Did you manage to remove limescale stains in this way?

I rinse with water and an old washrag to free the pot of dirt and old substrate etc. After drying I prefer the oil rubdown method. The pot needs to develope its patina. A lovely and mature patina adds value to the bonsai pot.

1 Like

It won’t get all the scale, but helps loosen it for scrubbing

1 Like

3 Likes

One thing to be careful of…never use a WIRE BRUSH of any kind! It will ruin the surface of the pot, and on unglazed pots, will leave metal “glaze”!
FYI…
Flex

1 Like

Far be it from me to use it!
Thanks for the good advice :ok_hand: