About the Horticulture category

Together, we can master this unique artform by combining our horticultural knowledge and experience. Talk soils, water, growth management, advanced techniques – dig into the nitty-gritty science behind bonsai practice and theory. Share your wins, losses, what works, what doesn’t – the sum total of your observations as bonsai scientists.

This category is all about bonsai science - soils, water, pruning, repotting, seasonality. Some examples of types of questions are:

• Bonsai Forensics - I did this, my tree died or suffered, what went wrong?

• Mythbusting - This technique doesn’t work, or never use this substrate with this species, there’s a lot of conflicting information out here. This is where the information on Mirai Live serves to mythbust malpractice.

• Pioneering - What new species are you working with as bonsai? What have you noticed? What does the tree behave similarly to?

• When do I _______ and why? - Questions on timing, seasonality, zones, etc.

• Infirmary Post - My tree is showing these signs and symptoms, what is it? What do I do? How do I nurse it back to health?

These are just a few examples among limitless bonsai science questions! Get asking.

1 Like

What are some trees I can pick up at the nursery and be safe to work on this time of year? I’m really excited to work on something but don’t want to kill anything.

Good morning. I just noticed while crusts? On ponderosa yamadori needles. Is this anything to be concerned about. Thanks gary