Help, need resources for learning

Hello everyone! I dived into bonsai in the last year from being an Arborist, I cant help bust see major similarities along with huge difference in these practices. The past month I started studying for my ISA certification and have been wondering how much of what im reading is 100% truth as far as the application of pruning, watering, etc. Can anyone suggest some resources I can learn more about tree anatomy and the natural habits of trees. I would like to understand why I see so many difference between arborculteral practices and bonsai practices when the goal is inevitably the same.

Ryan has addressed this in several live streams and in more detail in some of the lecture series talks. Those require Mirai membership, I believe the lecture series require the higher level membership.

1 Like

I am also an arborist but bonsai led me to becoming an arborist, The major difference is the lack of ability to control the energy to the same degree when the tree is in the ground. Without the restriction of the root system by the container the timing and size of the actions in arboriculture are different.

The sad thing is, the tree physiology/anatomy information on Mirai is “true” but it is not 1:1. Also symmetry is more sought after in arboriculture.

The single most useful thing for both especially as an arborist is understanding branch hierarchy, this is the only way to truly balance the energy and get even growth in the ground… I have worked with many seasoned ISA certified arborist who could not objectively explain their branch selection. If you understand the branching hierarchy this wouldn’t be the case. Also Mirai is lightyears ahead of the taught or accepted “science” on tree nutrition, so understanding this will save you many circular conversations.

1 Like

I kept asking my self, if bonsai are just trees in pots how is care so different. I guess i was just over thinking it and the answer was in the question. Thanks for taking the time to respond much appreciated!

I actually think arboriculture over complicates pruning and leaves way too much in the subjective realm. The stuff you learn at Mirai will not be useful for your ISA and even contradictory at somepoints ( especially soil science)… I also specialize in ornamental/shade tree pruning (under 30ft) so that might influence my opinion.

It is allways good to keep your knowledge and education separate :wink:

Good luck

1 Like