Yamadori found at a Nursery!

I went on a nursery hunt for some material and found this Deodar Cedar which looks like it was definitely collected and sold to this Nursery. Anyone have any experience with repotting Deodar? I hear they don’t take likely to root pruning and I feel I should plan how I reduce the root ball for a proper pot.

9 Likes

Interesting looking tree! Now that you’ve done all that foliage reduction I suggest that you wait until 2022 to repot. Elongating species - either work the foliage or the roots, but not both at the same time.

2 Likes

Yea I was planning on waiting a couple years while I gather resources on knowledge of the species. Thank you for the tips!

I have not repotted my cedrus but I was told emphatically that when I did it should be treated carefully as they are very sensitive/temperament. So be careful and if possible avoid severe root work.

1 Like

Yea I gotta make sure I plan atleast 3 or 4 years before I get it into a proper pot

Amazing looking material. I believe you have a grafted Cedrus variety, you can see the transition between the smooth trunk vs the rough bark as being the grafting point, nevertheless an amazing find and tree. I will be repotting a large Cedrus in the coming weeks. It is still in its 50 gallon nursery pot. Purchased it last year, didn’t do anything to it for a year, going to tackle the repot first before styling.

1 Like

Ahh yes I do see that now, I was blinded by the movement in the trunk haha! How much of the rootball do you plan on eliminating when repotting?

Wow, great find! I love treasures like this.

1 Like

Oh man I was elated when I found this tree and was too excited to work on it. This was my first time doing a major styling of a tree and not just structural wiring!

2 Likes

Now it’s time for the hobby within the hobby. Pots. You have a year to find the perfect match lol.

I’m worried of the price of the size of pot i would need lol

1 Like

You’ve got a year to save too :man_shrugging:t5:

2 Likes

But the price of the pot doesn’t matter really. Not compared with the enjoyment and fulfilment of having the complete image. :grin:

1 Like

This is TRUE!! I’m more worried about my wife hahahahah!

1 Like

Hopefully she’ll understand. Like the trees it takes time! :wink:

1 Like

This picture from the Artisan’s Cup website reminded me of your tree. An unglazed pot that size shouldn’t cost “too much”. It’ll likely be more than you spent on the tree, but that’s the beauty of buried treasure. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Well that’s an amazing tree and encouraging!! I appreciate you sharing this tree! What size do you think this pot is?

1 Like

I was thinking maximum 50%-60%. I have to see how the root structure is below the soil line and above the bottom of the pot. Going to be a massive job.

1 Like

I see. If you remember once the after care, I would love to know how the tree reacts!

Hey pj! Did you ever get to repotting your Cedrus? How did it go?

1 Like