Where to see Bristlecone pines in CO

My in-laws live Denver CO, and I am looking for suggestions for a good place to visit and meet bristlecone pines?

On the way to the Mount Evans summit is a nice spot:
https://www.botanicgardens.org/beyond/mount-goliath

You’ll need to call ahead this time of year, I’m pretty sure the summit closed labor day, I’m not sure about getting just to this bristlecone pine hiking area.

1 Like

Thanks @mw-bonsai
Next trip isn’t until the summer, but my sister in law has already started planning. Have you been to Windy Ridge near South Park? It’s another place that came up.

I haven’t been to Windy Ridge, but it’s a spot I’ve been hoping to check out!

I am sure this is too late but there is an amazing grove of Bristlecone pines near the ghost town of Summitville on the east side of Wolf Creek pass. I know that is way in the SW corner of the state but it is beautiful and worth the visit!

Thanks @AndrewDGO
If we head that way I will make sure we drop by.

Neat article on the oldest bristlecone in Colorado which is near Pikes Peak including a nice picture, but in an undisclosed location for good reason. Good discussion of how core samples from these and similar trees have been used.

Thanks @MartyWeiser,
At this rate, I’m not sure if we will be able to fly in August.

Well, it’s been 3 years since I opened this post and today I finally got to visit CO Bristlecone pines! Lower Mt Goliath. Wort the wait!

6 Likes