Inspiration: Red Creek Doug Fir video

Stumbled across this drone footage after reading Kendall’s great article on the blog.
For me, this short clip embodies the spirit Ryan strives to capture in every tree he touches.
A must see. Enjoy!!

9 Likes

this is amazing! I want to go find it now. I love seeing the asymmetry and the odd apex. Looks so ancient.

2 Likes

Kendall-
Ya gotta love drones!! Did you notice the small formal upright tree on the very top right side? Looks small but it’s probably 20 feet. So cool. Never seen anything like it.

2 Likes

Kendall…The small young upright on the right side makes such a contrast to the ancient character of this tree! And…it is over 300 feet in the air!
I love seeing how Nature sculpts these old trees. The one very twisted large branch shown partway thru the video is amazing…given the height of the tree this had to be the result of some howling mighty wind eviscerating it!
Had the pleasure of hiking up in the Colorado Front Range with Larry Jackel and Jim Doyle a few years ago. During the climb in one section we came upon an old Ponderosa which had apparently been felled by either lightning or wind or both. On the very bottom of the rotted trunk was a live vein feeding the apex, over 20 feet from the rotted crumbling root base.
20150719_2984
20150719_2985
There was evidence of lightning-induced fire nearby:
20150719_2960
Enjoy!
Flex

4 Likes