What's on your bonsai wish list?

I 've moved bigger… took a forklift to get my 50 gallon alpine fir into the truck. Where there is a bonsai… there is always a way!
Just for comparison, what was it going for?

1 Like

Look wonderful. Quick question. Im sure Swamp Cypres and bald cypress are the same? Both share the same Latin name I think. Taxodium Distichum.

1 Like

A lodgepole pine
ponderosa pine
Korean Lilac
Rocky Mt. Juniper yamadoria

I have limited room were I live and its at its max now with 45 trees and 17 are shohins

BD

1 Like

Around £1650

@Nicknjh23 Having just googled it, I think you are right.

2 Likes

Still on my to-do list:

Bristelcone Pine
Limber Pine
Lodgepole Pine
Atlas Cedar
Douglas Fir
Mountain Hemlock
RMJ
Bald Cypress
Oregon White Oak
Olive
Yoshino Cherry

1 Like

When I started this thread I didn’t realize that I’d just be adding everything anyone says to my wish list. :weary::laughing:

1 Like

@BillsBayou’s simple wish seems to be an antipode to most on this thread, where there is a tendency to want one of everything. I do the same thing but end up coming back to regionally native stuff, mostly because I kill everything else.

Maybe Bill is a zen master, or already has way too many bald cypress, but this got me thinking: what is a reasonable number of species to have? This is distinctly different from number of TREES because many species require fairly unique knowledge, treatment and skill.

I feel like I already have too many species because there are a few that I’m not entirely sure what to do with (e.g. pinyon pine), but I can always handle more ponderosas because they’re all over the place and easy to grow and develop where I live.

So, how many species is too many?

Also, more ponderosas, please.

1 Like

Hmm, I’ll lyk when I find out. :laughing:

You are certainly putting this to the test, @Bonsai_Bentley. I’ve been enjoying your enthusiasm and shameless lack of self control :smiley:

1 Like

Haha, thanks. I’m very happy to have others learn from my mistakes. :man_shrugging:t5::rofl::rofl:

Genuinely old deadwood Yamadori Bristlecone pine.

1 Like

Grasshopper, the responsible number of species to have is the number of species for which you can be responsible.

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly. Just keep “what am I trying to accomplish” in mind at all times…and then shed a small tear when you say “oops”. :cry:

Greenhouse, Greenhouse, Greenhouse! My bonsai budget is all used up for pine courses this year, but I’ve being a really good boy, so what do you think Santa?

1 Like

DO NOT BUY the greenhouse from Harbor Freight. Just… don’t.

4 Likes

I went to a bonsai exhibition yesterday and I was very reasonable… I came home with only one tree :innocent:

It’s a Prunus persica ‘spring glory’, the cut paste pot is there for scale. The prunus on the wish list was the Prunus mahaleb, however all the mahalebs on the stand had a serious reverse taper issue and this persica was in the middle. It also had the best nebari.

A new entry on my wish list: Corylus avellana (Common hazel). The same stand had a few Corylus avellana of roughly the same size and shape as my prunus, they sold like hot cakes. As I have quite a lot of hazels on the property, I decided to not buy one but to collect/grow a few next season.

2 Likes

So it turns out that the Pinus nigra did fit in the car, like a glove.

1 Like