What's on your bonsai wish list?

My space is pretty limited and now that I’m starting to bump up against it I’m realizing that I’m going to have to be selective about what I add to my collection…or move to the country where I can buy some land lol. Here’s my current list.

• Cherry blossom tree
  • Live oak
  • A well developed black pine or at least a good sized pre-bonsai
  • Blue spruce
  • Pomegranate
  • Some sort of weeping tree
  • Rain tree
  • Banyan tree but I’ll likely have to go with some sort of ficus
4 Likes

I would love a weeping tree.

I would also love a bald cypress similar to Ryan’s monster but not sure where I would source one in the uk.

Other than those, MORE Junipers :joy: you can never have too many of those

3 Likes

That is funny because I have ticked a few of those checkboxes recently :innocent:

In the last week-or-so, I have bought a dwarf pomegranate and a dwarf barberry.

A Prunus incisa ‘kojo-no-mai’ I have kept for years in its nursery container is reaching the desired thickness, so it will get repotted, chopped and trained next season.

This summer, I have also bought a decent-ish Malus ‘Evereste’ and last weekend I added a Malus x moerlandsii ‘Profusion’ to the stash. The fruits on the ‘Profusion’ are barely larger than hawthorn fruits, so it should make a very convincing shohin at some point. We’ll see where I take those after the repot next spring.

I have bought a Picea pungens ‘Super blue’ last month, but I couldn’t find a black pine so I bought a few more mugo pines to get more work on single push short needle pines. There’s a hundred-or-so Pinus thunbergii seeds in the drawer of my desk, so I’ll have some multi-flush pines to work on at some point.

I have almost bought a large Pinus nigra and a large Pinus uncinata, but ‘decided’ not to (well they wouldn’t have fit in the car). I will most probably buy a Pinus sylvestris yamadori in March, that will be worked on during a workshop.

I’m with Amit here… way more junipers :slight_smile: As I was cleaning a juniper trunk before wrapping and bending it, I have made one tray of cuttings last Sunday… just in case. A friend will also bring me some of his rooted Kishu cuttings next May.

There are a few hawthorns, some spindle trees and a field elm that will get dug up just before bud break next spring.

On the wish list for next spring: bonsai benches in the garden. I would also definitely benefit from a greenhouse at some point.

I’ve also been looking at very large rainwater collectors today and did some back of the napkin calculations… I could store a 13K gallons bladder rainwater tank in the unused space below the terrace (the terrace itself is a concrete slab on top of an old masonry barn). That would give me as close to full water independence as is possible, I’d only use the tap for drinking/cooking water.

EDIT: and I forgot… an Azalea nakaharae also magically appeared. It’s still a bit complicated to get real satsuki at reasonable prices over here.

3 Likes

I cerated wish list last fall with a lot of species I wanted as bonsai and had totally forgotten about it until I read this post. Now that I checked the list I noticed that in a year I’d managed to get at least on specimen of almost all trees on my list (pine (Sylvesteris), spruce, common juniper, birch, sorbus, larch). There’s only two species remaining:

• Oak (I have a good yamadori that I’ve just asked for permission to dig next spring)
  • Beech (probably have to find some nursery stock)

Then there’s always the yearning for more tools and especially nice pots. All my trees are still in early development so pots haven’t been a major concern yet, but next spring my first three trees are ready for their first real bonsai pots.

4 Likes

Hei Mikael!

Beech nursery stock should be relatively easy to find cheap. Maybe add hornbeam (Carpinus betulus) to the list, as they do make really nice bonsai trees while being usually easy to find in nurseries.

1 Like

I haven’t seen beech or hornbeam at my local haunts. I’m headed to Asheville for a bonsai show. Pretty excited to see what I can find at the show and at nurseries. My wallet is scared though. :weary:

1 Like

Beech and hornbeam would definitely be harder to find in South Carolina. However in Europe they’re commonly used to make hedges. Last weekend I was checking hornbeams at the local garden center, and they had a few with nice 2" flare for sub-20 that would have made nice shohin or could be grown in the ground for a few years. Same thing for beech… plenty of decent material with prices between 10 and 20 euro.

I can feel your wallet being nervous about this weird trick you’re going to find to make it slimmer :partying_face:

At the last show I had to be very careful with my spending… there weren’t many sellers but the same guy who’ll do the two days workshop in March was there with a van full of Pinus sylvestris yamadori. I think March will see my biggest bonsai spend ever :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I already had a hornbeam (and a few other species) when I made the list :wink:. I found a really nice hornbeam at a garden center for something like 20€. It’s now growing in the ground and I’ve air layered the top to get two trees. Next spring I’ll do some root work on the bottom part (it had a great radial root system when I planted it in the ground) to keep the roots nice and compact.

1 Like

all the nursery stock atlas cedars, give me all of them!!!

3 Likes

Ponderosa pine (Pinus ponderosa)
Alpine larch (Larix lyalli)
These are at the top of my list.
I have scouted a few for collection next year :grinning::metal:t2: and I will be dreaming about them all winter until its time to hit the mountains again! :evergreen_tree::mountain::grinning:
Here is a pic of one of the larches trunk.

1 Like

The fruits on the ‘profusion’ were actually even smaller than I remembered!

Left to right: Malus PERPETU ‘Evereste’, Malus x moerlandsii ‘Profusion’, Cotoneaster dammeri, Berberis thunbergii ‘Golden Nugget’

1 Like

Here’s my haul from the show. Crossed a couple off of my wish list. Spent $300 on plants and $100 on wire. Wallet = :sob::sob::sob: I still have to go tomorrow to get kanuma and akadama. :sob:

• Water Jasmine (tropical)
  • Chamaecyparis
  • Dawn redwood
  • Pomegranate (wishlist item)
  • Japanese larch
  • Jade (for the wife)
  • Black pine
  • Various small plants for the terrarium

1 Like

On my wish list are;

Coastal red wood,
Japanese Black pine,
Bald cypress,
Rocky Mountain juniper
And the one i can never have while i still live in los Angeles a giant seqouia.

1 Like

Big giant pots

That’s it.

3 Likes

My wife keeps telling me to go take a ceramics course to make my own big expensive pots :laughing:

3 Likes

It may seem cheaper, but I’m not convinced. Cause then you’ll buy a wheel, and a slab roller and a kiln large enough to fit the big pots. Then tools and clay

3 Likes

She assumes that they’ll supply everything as I make them “as part of the class” :laughing:

1 Like

Then you start building a large wood-fired updraft kiln in the garden… you know, the kind that takes a few days to reach temperature and needs to be stoked non-stop and monitored during the cool-down so it ramps down instead of crashing… so you just fire it once or twice a year :sweat_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiszQWOW6vw (firing the kiln)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryfbaUBMVws (unloading the kiln)

I really recommend taking a pottery class tho, it’s a lot of fun playing with clay and firing it… and you can end up with some really unique pots you’ll never find on a shelf… like the half rectangle, half rock pot in the last video (made for a pinus uncinata yamadori).

5 Likes

An Old gnarly Yamadori Bristlecone Pine of unmatched beauty:mountain:

2 Likes

@Amitdesai1978

Not a Bald Cypress but a Swamp Cypress being sold by my nearest bonsai nursery. It is just over 2 metres tall and would take 3-4 people to move it!

I took a photo of it today whilst I was collecting a few trees I had reserved.

1 Like