What should a kishu recovering from a fungal infection look like?

Hi, everyone. I’ve got this kishu that was diagnosed with something like juniper tip blight.

I’ve been treating it with copper and thiomyl for about a month. It’s getting a decent amount of new green growth, mostly juvenile foliage, and the brown tips seem to be drying out.
So, will the infected areas turn green again? Should they be removed? How much longer should I treat for? I’m clueless.
The picture was taken in evening light last night, so it looks much browner than it really is.

Also, any recommendations for books or other resources about plant pathology that you find useful?

1 Like

The brown parts aren’t going to return to green. You can remove them, or wait for them to fall off. I’ve done both. I’d probably treat it until you’re satisfied its growing well, though I’ve only noticed tipblight (phomopsis) during late spring or early summer. (A quick search of phomopsis’ lifecycle brought me to this article, with good info at the end on fungicide suggestions & timing: IPM : Reports on Plant Diseases : Phomopsis Twig Blight of Juniper)

Also, in an earlier iteration, Ryan mentioned that Mancozeb tends to handle most pathogens that Junipers are susceptible to. (I’ve verified that Copper & Thiomyl both list phomopsis as pathogens they control as well.) I believe he’s opting for a solution based on nutrition anymore.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I’ll keep treating for at least another week or two. And removing the brown tips could help me see how things are progressing better.

Apparently, mancozeb is banned here in Washington state. That was my first choice, but I can’t get it.