What have you collected this season? 2018

Douglas fir, Pseudotsuga menziesi

I’m in Sacramento if you know of any more olives being available please let me know. Thanks

Collected this weekend in the Oregon cascades… vine maple, fir and lodgepole pine

2 Likes

There is a point in the Randy Podcast when Kendal asks if he ever loses his sense of scale when out in the woods collecting. I think this might have happened to me when I collected this first one. It is a field maple (Hedge Maple) I collected back in February. The hardest part was wrestling it on my own over a barbed wire fence to get it out of the woods where I go collecting.

As it was a couple of weeks ago. In total it stands at around 2 metres currently

A fairly large Hawthorn collected on the same day

This one had a little difficulty getting going and I had to resort to bagging it, but had some real difficulty transitioning it when it was time for the bag to come off. The growth however has been really strong since and the roots are growing out of the bottom of the container into the ground below. This is the same tree a couple of weeks ago

Unfortunately I didn’t get a photo of this final one whilst in the woods. Collected the same day it is a wild Damson, a Prunus species. I have a very tall literati in mind for it.

I will be making my first scouting trip for next spring to the same woods in around a month after leaf fall has finished and to plant some sycamores that have grown as weeds in my garden to replace some of the trees I have collected.

2 Likes

Wax myrtle

2 Likes