What have you collected this season? 2018

Hey Matt, how big is the apple? Beautiful tree. Great taper. Curves in the right places. Super customer.

I wanted to post an update on the tree from my original post that started this thread. I’m still not exactly sure what it is. When it comes to indentifying elms my head starts to spin, but I’m pretty sure it is a slippery elm. The fact the the roots oozed a gelatinous substance when I did the initial root work makes me think so and the leaves seem to fit the description now that theyve emerged. After potting it up I took my dremel to a big dead section on the current back and just carved out a big hollow basically. One of the pictures is of this side. I think it could even make for an interesting front if I can get the roots growing where I need them. The tree has recovered in leaps and bounds, I am honestly blown away by how vigourous it has been. But elms are tough as nails, go figure. I have fertilized pretty heavily with Dr. Earth Life and that really does the job!

Pictures taken today:

4 Likes

@Joe_Perry above you can see an example of my deciduous growing in a “colander” type container. Not to drag up that whole debate again but just wanted to show you an example of one of my trees and let it speak for itself. Collected this spring. Soil is mostly DE with some growstone. You can see pictures of the tree post collection in the first post in this thread.

Mountain hemlock that was knocked off its rock pedestal from heavy snowpack and freeze that had loosened the rock which it was holding onto. I spotted this tree last year and was amazed at how long it had endured this weather. It was dangling almost upside down when I saw it this May, so of course it had to be rescued. Two tap roots were holding it there, the feeder roots were sitting on top of the rock face. The other day I carefully brushed back the pumice and discovered new root growth!! Theres a fighter in this one!

5 Likes

Working at a dog friendly shop is great for the dogs and the people but not so much for the shrubbery. So after watching this little hemlock lose limb after limb, when it got down to one live branch I had to bring it home. So I’m a member of the midnight bonsai society- where’s the T-shirt? Kidding I had permission

3 Likes

Nice collection dude! That’s A TON of work! Glad they are doing well.

i like this collection post having a new collection season attached to it. i’m starting to scout now for collection later.

1 Like

from the Lech River Valley in Germany.

3 Likes

This year I only rescued a young English Oak that was about to get run over by excavators. Will post an update in 25 years :smile:

5 Likes

Mike…So several of us ventured to the Rockies in July.
Came back with several nice Ponderosas. Here is one with a wonderful “twist” to it’s story!
Now in Anderson flat for the winter, and very well fertilized!
Cheers…
Flex!
IMG_20180725_065225462|281x500

7 Likes

I collected this yew and it was my first “dig” ever. Got it for free off of craigslist. Digging up trees is no joke! There was a point where I didn’t know if i wanted to keep going but there was no turning back. It was collected in mid September.

4 Likes

EddyFern…Nice looking find! So now the key is to get it thru the winter. Since you seem to have gotten most of the rootball, this “should” not be a problem. Best to mulch it in on the ground, with a south-facing location, and provide some protection from the winter wind. Have you fertilized it, post-collection, to help it recover a bit from the collecting process?
Yews push out new growth in my area (Wayne PA.) thru most of the year, so I wind up having to prune back twice a year to finer new growth.
Can you post more photos in the Spring?

• Flex

Yamadori-wise, I collected these four Utah Junipers in April 2018 and all seem to be doing well.

2 Likes

Thank you for the advice! I will definitely post as it wakes up in the spring. I used Rhizotonic. No fertilizer.

I collected this Scots Pine yamadori this year. Actually put it in a pot already because it fit. This stood on rock right on the side of Baltic Sea so has tolerated some gnarly weather. I asked Walter Pall and according to the measurements he believed it to be over 100 years old! It’s not styled and honestly I really like the natural look of this tree but I’ll get back to it later and just enjoy it and make sure it thrives until the time for eventual styling arrives.

16 Likes

It is simply beautiful.

1 Like

I was lucky enough to have this grow in my backyard. Although it’s Siberian Elm (The little ugly ducklings of the family) it has amazing taper and is definitely something to learn and develop on.

4 Likes

Some of the trees i’ve collected last year:

Juniperus communis,nice cascade style

A huge ligustrum ovafolium that i found dug out near the railway station

\

Multitrunk pinus sylvestris

And another scots pine-multitrunk/kabudachi style

6 Likes

Peep this monster I found! I was drawn to all of the deadwood on it and the interesting nebari. :blush: I think I’ll style this as an informal upright. I may have to graft some large air plants onto it if it decides not to leaf out. :thinking: Walking it home was a bit tougher than expected, but I survived. :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes