Collecting hurricanedori

Lots of trees blown over from Dorian around here. I noticed a big wax myrtle planted on the side of the road. It’s at a 45° angle at this point due to the wind. Thinking about collecting it. Quick question tho…how illegal is this, lol?

1 Like

If it is in a public ROW and not salvageable probably OK

If by row you mean is it among a row of trees then yes. It’s in the space between a highway and a frontage road. There are a bunch there and they’re quite overgrown. You’d barely even notice that it’s gone as they’ve all kinda grown into each other. I was hoping to rent a cordless reciprocating saw, but my local HD doesn’t have one. :’( Guess I’ll be using a hand saw.

1 Like

ROW is an acronym for Right Of Way :+1:t2:

1 Like

Lol, okay. It’s definitely that.

2 Likes

Holy cow, that was a job!!! :weary::weary::weary: I’m glad that I’m relatively strong. Sadly, I’m also relatively stupid. :sob: This thing is WAY bigger than I thought it was. I also thought that it was two trunks. It is not. I gigantic beast. :weary: This is so dumb lol. Anyway, gonna build the box this afternoon after I remove the big structural roots. I don’t have any pumice, so I bought a couple of bags of perlite to mix with some diatomaceous earth. Best I can do rn. :man_shrugging:t5:

2 Likes

Didn’t have enough DE and Napa closed, so I just chopsticked what I could and covered the root ball with damp towels overnight.

There’s a nice hollow developing at the base of the tree. I’ll dig this out a bit and then coat the inside of it with PC wood hardener unless someone has a better idea.

Tub is now full and covered with pine straw. You can’t even tell that it’s in a tub. I cut down more of the branches save for a few that I left foliage on for photosynthesis. So far, so good. The leaves on the tallest part of the tree look good. I probably won’t water it for several days just to give it time to strike the water/oxygen balance.

1 Like