What do others do for their day job

Im glad everyone got behind this post. It was just to hear what others do on a day to Basis and to see how diverse the world of Bonsai is. Looks pretty Diverse to me.

2 Likes

General Foreman for an Electrical Contractor in Silicon Valley (union electrician, but Management)

We build the office buildings for Big Tech :smile:

2 Likes

I was a video game programmer for ten years before I quit my job to work on IMAX documentary films as a time-lapse photographer and cinematographer (which was the best decision I ever made). My love for treeā€™s came after being tasked with chasing down and filming the most beautiful trees in the world against Milky Way for the IMAX film ā€œAwakenā€. While working on that film I met my wife and we had a daughter, so Iā€™m currently working on smaller freelance projects (and Bonsai) to keep me closer to home.

You can see some of my work on my website: http://www.bwigginsproductions.com

7 Likes

Iā€™ve thrown freight and was a closing manager at Albertsons for many years. Donā€™t knock honest work.

5 Likes

I am artist/designer working with glass, metal and wood. I am trained as a glassblower but have designed and produced furniture and home goods as well. I currently own and run a small business designing and manufacturing lighting for high end residential, commercial and hospitality projects. TOKENLIGHTS

8 Likes

Those two trees had about $5000 is rigging gear for each tree. We actually leave the chains and straps on for 6-9 months, we have a 6x12 enclosed trailer just to haul all of our rigging gear. It takes alot to secure and set a tree weighing around 48,000 lbs. We used a 70 ton on those. We do some really cool work. Those trees sold for $65,000 each.

4 Likes

You guys have some very cool jobs! I work in cinema and television. I am a sound supervisor and re-recording mixer. I own and operate a post production facility in my home which allows me to be close to my Bonsai collection. Basically I oversee and handle sound editorial and mix for films and tv shows.

5 Likes

Lawyer (which isnt nearly as cool, useful or creative as some of the things yā€™all spend your time doing).

5 Likes

My wife and I own a tree service in Massachusetts

7 Likes

University department chair for Engineering, Technology, and Design looking forward to retirement in a couple of years so I can do a better job with my trees and have time to get back into making pots and stands.

6 Likes

IĀ“m a veterinary, work for Brazilian Government in Agricultural and Health Departament

4 Likes

Interesting to read about the different things people do for a living. Good thread!

Myself, I work in User Interface and User Experience design (mainly on the visual side of things) and lead design teams, primarily within the banking or financial services sectors here in London.

Anything that fuzes creativity and craftmanship with horticulture Iā€™ll almost certainly like. Bonsai and Aquascaping are two of my main passions. Just like @Tac, bonsai is an important non-digital sanctuary for me.

5 Likes

Figured I need to chime in here, too. Many very intriguing jobs here from everyone. I know Kendall once kind of started this talk with @rafi, but I donā€™t think anyone ever took this to a thread.

I work for a camera company that makes ultra-high-speed video and framing cameras, taking images up to one billion frames per second. Not the ā€œslow-motionā€ stuff you see on tv. This is for imaging propagation of explosives, developing and testing weapons, medical research, fluid dynamics, automotive component testing. The list goes on and on. We also make systems to follow projectiles during flight so flight dynamics can be studied as if the camera is flying alongside the round. My main job is servicing our systems and doing sales and support for motion analysis software that we sell in North America.

Onto the next interesting professionā€¦

8 Likes

Iā€™m an Allergist. I am brand new to bonsai over the last four months or so. My job involves working with people who among other things may have allergies to pollen (trees, grasses, and weeds) and plant-based foods. I enjoy growing plants, hiking and nature photography, so a progression to learning about bonsai seems natural.

3 Likes

I run an industrial rope access company. Basically, we work in places that are hard to get to and we get there on a rope. I got into it from rock climbing and then got into bonsai because the trees reminded me of being in the mountains.

10 Likes

Iā€™m a bookkeeper at a machine shop the builds industrial molds. I too have worked in a grocery store :slight_smile: recently I worked in a store that sold lighting to the public, and to builders.
I love the outdoors, bonsai, koi, horses, trees, mountainsā€¦ and hot rod cars!

3 Likes

ā€œMillionaire stuntman; half jackalopeā€ (bonus points if anyone is twisted enough to identify the reference).

I am currently the facilities and space manager for the Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center and a doctoral student. Playing bonsai and ukulele helps me to decompress.

2 Likes

Im working as a simple production worker in a company which saturates plastics with colour and uv blocks etc. I dont have pictures of it because im not allowed to make anyā€¦ ill leave a link to a site of the company. http://www.globalcolors.pl/ I started bonsai as a escape from all of the stress and hard work Im under daily basis

1 Like

I work for a Medical Device company but Bonsai is my hobbyā€¦its the best!

1 Like

I run my familyā€™s Plumbing HVAC business in S.F Bay Area, I love gardening, discovered Ryan on you tube, Iā€™m now 6 months into this amazing, good lord there is sooā€¦much to learn, bonsai adventure.
Looking forward to see what I can create With Ryan and friends.

2 Likes