What about innovating in Demos during exhibitions?

I would like to hear from the Mirai Community what you guys think about the “demos” during exhibitions.
I went to some exhibitions in Belgium and in France, and always bought a ticket to be able to “see” the demos. I had the pleasure to hear and see Ryan working during the last Trophy/Noelanders.
What I observe, is that we are often sitting very far, we actually do not really “see” the work being accomplished, and not all bonsai professionals have the same pedagogy than Ryan to explain, and tell us a story. Bottom line, if we join at the beginning and at the end, to see the “before” and the “after” it would be sufficient.
I would love that the concept is reinvented and actually, this is what I found in Mirai live: a demo with explanation, close-up with a camera so that it is like we are sitting close to our virtual Sensei.
What about reinventing the concept of demos: with proximity, close-up camera so that we can not “see” but rather “observe” the work, with small groups around the professional so that there is this proximity link being built between participants and the artist; participants might be more entitled to ask questions, interact during appropriate timing to not disturb too much the bonsai artist. I would love something more “educational” and more “participative”. Sitting on a chair in the back of a huge room is like I am going to a concert …
@ryan any ideas? any willingness to also innovate in that area…?
What do you think?

2 Likes

I’ve only ever seen one demo and the person didn’t quite have a welcoming personality. I felt like he was more talking at us than to us. I think something a bit more interactive would be cool. Something in between a class and a demo. Not sure how that scales though. May only be suitable for a small crowd.

1 Like

That leads a little back to my question on the feedback regarding this years Trophy.
I guess I.t leads a little towards the distinction between the show demonstration and a workshop. But I see that the ability for Bonsai and engaging with workshop participants or demo audience does not necessarily come in one person (Ryan being the obvious exception, to saying there are others also).

1 Like

Hello, thank you for your contribution to the discussion. I like the idea of having something which fits between a demo and a class. This year at the Trophy, we had zoom camera which helps to see a little bit more the work achieved by the demonstrator. However, this is not enough to my perspective. I would rather have indeed, like @antelion suggested, small audience which might help to have more proximity and interaction with the demonstrator. I am convinced there is an opportunity to seize in providing something different. And honestly, in such a case, I would be ready to pay a little bit more to participate to something which really bring value to me.

1 Like

This year’s demo at the Trophy was a bit surprising as I hadn’t attended for 8 or 9 years. Funnily enough, the last demo I attended happened to be Ryan on his first year at the trophy.

Having four demonstrations happening at the same time seemed a bit over the top as it became hard to focus. I also ended up having to translate everyone for my non-English-speaking friends while trying to understand what Akiyama-san was saying and taking pictures of the demos. The previous years I attended had someone translating the demonstrators to French and Flemish…

1 Like