Texas Ebony question from Live Q&A 229

There was a question in the live Q&A regarding the potential of Texas Ebony as bonsai. I have seen a few and they have all looked interesting. At 13:14 of the above video you can see an example from the Texas convention held in San Antonio this spring.

2 Likes

Here is my Texas ebony. The trunk is about 2.5" at the base and it stands about 20" tall. I’ve had it for about 20 years, purchased from Jade Garden in Wimberly TX. It is one of my favorite trees. It looks somewhat similar to the Brazilian Rain tree, except for the rough bark. One critical difference though. Texas ebonies do NOT like acidic soil. When I first got the tree I tried using MirAcid, and the tree began to droop and and drop leaves. I switched over to non-acidic fertilizer, scattered a little lime on the soil and it perked right up.

BRT’s on the other hand do well in acidic soil, but don’t require it.

6 Likes

Hi Leafscat,
On the video from the San Antonio convention the Slanting Bald Cypress at 6:57 is mine, as well as the Flaky Cedar Elm at 7:37.
Cedar Elms are great for Bonsai, extremely hardy and ramify well. Depending on where it is collected, it may have very flaky bark like mine /collected near Corpus Christy, or finer bark, the trees I have collected between Austin and San Antonio. I have several Cedar Elms in which the bark varies as well as wings on the branches and trunks of younger trees.
There are wings on the Cedar Elm in the video on younger Apex branches.

4 Likes

Hi Sally, beautiful trees they looked even better in person!

1 Like

Ciao Ryan,ho un problema sugli aghi dell’anno scorso su di un pino mugo in vaso da coltivazione. I nuovi aghi sono verdi mentre alcuni aghi vecchi sono ingialliti ma a carattere sparso. Cosa ne pensi?
Grazie mille e cordiali saluti