Texas pinyon pine

I recently bought 3 small Texas pinyon pines (pines remota). They are apparently a rare form of pinyon that grows in small parts of the Texas hill country. I found them at a small nursery that specializes in propagating hill country native plants.
I would like to make bonsai with some but am apprehensive because of root sensitivity. The man I bought them from said the roots are very sensitive. To the point that he said when planting cut off the bottom of the pot, sit it in the hole, and slide the rest of the pot off so the roots are not disturbed.
Does anyone have any experience with this species or other pinyon species with sensitive roots and have any advise?

I’ve got two two-year-old seedlings from seeds collected at the Grand Canyon. They are about 2.5 inches tall. I hold my breath every time I walk past them. My assumption has been that the challenge for me (in Dallas) will be to get them sufficient dormancy to remain healthy.

1 Like

Sam,

Would you mind sharing the name of the nursery? I’d love to see what they have in stock.

Joel

www.nativesoftexas.com

Very much appreciated Sam. I need to do some Texas themed Kumamono to go with my Texas live oaks.

Speaking of Texas live oak. I have a lot of escarpment live oak on my place, Quercius fusiformis. I assume that is what you have? I was wondering if you have had any luck collecting or air layering? Collecting seems tough because of the rock/caliche/soil here in the hill country. I have a few branches that look like good candidates for air layers but not sure how the oaks will respond to that. Any tips?

Sorry, all my oaks are grown from acorns so I’m just starting to wire them. We need a live oak (fusiformis) thread to capture any knowledge that might be out there. I think you’re only the second person I’ve met trying to bonsai this species.

2 Likes

Good idea. I might try to get that going soon.

I actually had some good luck air layering some live oaks about 20 years ago. The trees were beginning to show some promise as bonsais, when they became infested with [galls]. (Quick Tip: What are those Round Growths on my Live Oak tree? | The Masters Lawn Care I got so many galls I had to destroy the trees. The only other problem I had is that the trees were a larger leaf variety, and I never was able to reduce them. If I get a chance I will give them another try. They should be suited to North Texas climate.

I was planning on starting the air layers after the new leaves garden off. How long did it take for yours to be ready to seperate?

I think it took a year. Roots sprouted in one growing season, but I didn’t separate it till the following spring, after leaf drop.

How large were the branches you had success with? I’m very interested in trying this in the coming Spring…

2 " diameter and 1" diameter.

So still the smooth juvenile bark as well, or had it begun to plate/flake at all?

As I recall, it was more alligatored/plated than smooth